You love Kentucky’s history, right? So do we. So here’s another important but non-political bit.
At yesterday’s Kentucky Historic Preservation Review Board meeting, the following nominations were approved:
CLICK TO ENLARGE
Liggett and Myers Harpring Tobacco Storage Warehouse, 1211 Manchester Street, Lexington – Authored by Janie-Rice Brother, senior architectural historian with the Kentucky Archaeological Survey. Built in 1930, the Liggett and Myers Tobacco Harpring Storage Warehouse occupies a six-acre tract northwest of downtown Lexington. It was constructed in six sections, with each 20,000-square-foot section capable of holding 2,075 hogsheads of packed tobacco. The warehouse is a metal clad, steel support structure on a poured concrete floor, with each section divided by a brick firewall, and a brick façade for each loading dock. It is being nominated under National Register Criteria A, property associated with events that have made a significant contribution to the broad patterns of our history, significant for its association with the burley tobacco industry in Lexington between 1930 and 1980. The property’s significance was examined within the context, “Tobacco Industry in Lexington, Kentucky 1920-1980.” According to the author, “While the Harpring Storage Warehouse is a utilitarian structure, likely never to be considered an architectural masterpiece or even as particularly attractive to the causal viewer, its place in the impressive local tobacco industrial landscape should be appreciated and recognized.”
CLICK TO ENLARGE
Highlands Historic District (additional documentation) – Authored by Janie Rice Brother, senior architectural historian with the Kentucky Archaeological Survey. Originally listed in the National Register in 1983, the Highlands Historic District is a large, mixed-use district in the eastern section of Louisville covering some 760 acres. At the time of listing, the nomination reported that the district contained approximately 3,000 contributing structures and 200 non-contributing resources. The current nomination seeks to expand the period of significance from its original span, 1815-1940, to 1815-1962. According to the author, this nomination explores the architectural trends of the World War II and post-war period in Louisville as manifested in the Highlands. “The original nomination states that the Highlands District is a ‘virtual catalog of architectural types for a period of over 80 years, dramatizing on a local level, the national trends from year to year, subdivision to subdivision.’ As such, it is only fitting that the revised (period of significance) would update the district to include the post-war period, a time when Louisville experienced tremendous growth.”
See the other four properties after the jump…
CLICK TO ENLARGE
Ludlow Theater, 322-326 Elm Street – Authored by Kathy Martinolich, M.H.P., architectural historian with Cultural Resource Analysts Inc. Constructed in 1946, the Ludlow Theater is a two-story brick building resting on a brick foundation and capped with a flat, built-up roof. The property is located on Ludlow’s main street within the Ludlow Historic District, which was listed in the National Register in 1984. At the time, the theater was not yet 50 years old, and so was evaluated as a non-contributing resource. This nomination seeks individual listing for the building, which is long and rectangular with some Art Deco elements on the terracotta tile façade. According to the author, “The theater as a whole is largely a modest modern building with little to characterize it within a specific style…the most notable architectural element of the façade is the left bay that projects above the roofline, creating a parapet.” The building is being nominated under Criteria A, and its significance is being explored within the contexts of “Postwar Movie Theaters in America, 1945–1985,” as well as the local context “Development and Entertainment Culture in Ludlow, Kentucky, 1894–1983.”
CLICK TO ENLARGE
Hindman Historic District, Main Street and KY 160 – Authored by Fern Nafziger with the Hindman Cultural Committee. The proposed Hindman Historic District encompasses approximately 25 acres with 40 contributing structures and 21 non-contributing. Most of the buildings are two‐ story residences and commercial buildings constructed between 1903 and 1960. According to the author, “Most are prime examples of local stone masonry construction, quarried no more than a few miles from the construction site.” The district contains a variety of architectural styles and encapsulates a downtown that has undergone many changes while still maintaining its heritage and cultural identity. Its period of significance extends from 1903 to 1960 and recognizes the significant growth that followed the opening of Hindman Settlement School in 1902. It is being submitted under Criteria A, significant in the area of community development, and Criteria C, property that embodies the distinctive characteristics of a type, period or method of construction or represents the work of a master, or possesses high artistic values, or represents a significant and distinguishable entity whose components lack individual distinction. It is being evaluated within the historic context “Community Development through Eastern Kentucky Mountain Educational Models, 1900‐1960.”
CLICK TO ENLARGE
Buck Creek Rosenwald School, 6712 Taylorsville Road, Finchville vicinity – Authored by Julia Bache, a sophomore at Kentucky Country Day School. Buck Creek Rosenwald School was built in 1920 as a one-room schoolhouse to educate African American children at a time when, according to the author, “local school boards were underfunding the education of that population.” The building functioned as a school through 1957. After 1959, its interior was subdivided into several rooms to allow it to be used as a residence. The property proposed for listing sits on 1/3 of an acre and includes two historic outhouses and three non-contributing sheds. It is being nominated under Criteria A, and its significance evaluated within the historic context “Rosenwald Schools in Kentucky, 1916-1964.” It is one of only two known former schools in Shelby County whose construction occurred through the contribution of the Julius Rosenwald Fund, and both have since been converted to use as homes. The author notes, “Even with the superficial changes to the property, the Buck Creek School still helps tell the story of a significant episode in America’s evolving history – the way that African Americans acquired greater Civil Rights.”
CLICK TO ENLARGE
Rose-Daughtry Farmstead (revision), 6487 Louisville Road, Bowling Green vicinity, authored by Eileen Starr, Amanda Crump and Robin Zeigler, for the Bowling Green-Warren County Planning Office. The historic buildings on the Rose-Daughtry Farmstead are now located within Ephram White Park, where due to the lack of large-scale development in the immediate vicinity, the farmstead still has a rural feel. The farmstead consists of seven contributing features: three brick buildings dating to the 1880s, two frame buildings that range in date from 1880 to 1910, and two historic water systems – the well and cistern. The house dominates the farmstead. It is a large, brick, T-shaped, two-story residence with intersecting gable roofs. According to the authors, the Rose-Daughtry Farmstead meets National Register Criteria C as a distinctive type of construction, locally significant and displaying the typical qualities of an agricultural complex constructed by a prosperous owner in 1879. According to the authors, “This farmstead is an important example of a domestic agrarian complex in northeastern Warren County that was utilized by James Rose, his daughter Mattie, and his son-in-law Charles Daughtry from 1879 until Mattie’s death in 1948.” The farmstead’s significance is being evaluated within the historic context “Farmsteads in Warren County, Kentucky, 1879-1949.”
For more detailed information, click this clicky.