UPDATE @ 11AM: David will be on The Colbert Report tonight. Watch it.
Those of you familiar with the internets and reality know all about David Sirota and his liberal left ways with the truth. He’s renowned as a journalist and has led the fight to bring the reality-based community into the mainstream. And he has a great new book that’s hitting shelves across the country.
THE UPRISING: An Unauthorized Tour of the Populist Revolt Scaring Wall Street & Washington is what could only be called a masterful look at the force shaping American politics today. David spent a year traveling the country documenting the new populist revolt on the Right and Left and this book is his powerful examination of what’s taking place.
A bit of what David digs up in the book:
- Where superdelegates come from: Sirota traces the history of superdelegates, showing how they were originally created by the Democratic Party’s entrenched establishment to thwart inconvenient challenges from outsiders and how they could now play a pivotal role in the upcoming election—crushing today’s populist uprising.
- Conflicts of interest at the heart of the antiwar movement: Sirota reveals that the antiwar movement, which enjoys widespread public support, has cynically hired the same Democratic Party operatives who also have been employed to protect pro-war Democratic politicians.
- Stealth efforts to unionize the white-collar world: Embedding himself with a scrappy union trying to organize workers at some of the biggest tech companies in the world, Sirota shows how these white-collar companies, while fronting a progressive image, are actually among the most harshly antilabor employers in America.
- America’s most powerful third party: Most people think third parties are gadflies, but in New York—one of the biggest states in the nation—a third party is changing the political topography in unexpected ways, pushing around the legislature and upending the status quo, and making real gains for its populist agenda.
Matt Taibbi of Rolling Stone writes, “The Uprising should be read by anyone who wants to understand exactly how the ordinary person has been sold out by the political system.” and Publishers Weekly says, “Sirota chronicles how ordinary citizens on the right and the left are marshaling their frustrations with the government into uprisings across the country and analyzes the effectiveness and longevity of their efforts.”
He’ll be in Kentucky in June for readings and public appearances and you need to make sure you show up. Make plans today.
- Cincinnati on June 24 – 7:00 P.M. @ Joseph-Beth Booksellers
- Louisville on June 25 – 7:00 P.M. @ Carmichael’s on Frankfort Ave
The Louisville event is a Q&A/book signing sponsored by the Kentucky Society of Professional Journalists and Change for Kentucky. 2720 Frankfort Avenue, Louisville. Be there.
Read a great question and answer session with David after the jump…