Last August we uncovered evidence that the Education Professional Standards Board wasn’t just going after troubled former Montgomery County Schools superintendent Joshua Powell. The agency also charged Phil Rison, a key player in that world of scandal.
And on Tuesday we hinted that Rison had signed an agreed order with the Education Professional Standards Board.
Here it is:
CLICK EACH TO ENLARGE
3. By letter dated December 17, 2013, Adam H. Edelen, the Auditor of Public Accounts, advised the Montgomery County of Board of Education after an examination into the hiring of Anna Powell, the wife of the Montgomery County Superintendent, for the position of Director of Special Projects, that unreasonable modifications were made to the Director of Special Projects position description by the Montgomery County Board of Education to accommodate the recommendation of the superintendent’s spouse for this position and the district characterization of the position for which the superintendent’s spouse was hired is not consistent with the job title and district documentation. Rison, the assistant superintendent of the district, chaired the selection committee that recommended Powell for the position and communicated the hire to the Montgomery County Board of Education.
4. Rison maintains his innocence but acknowledges that the evidence is such that at a hearing in this matter the Board could find his conduct violated both KRS 161.120 and 16 KAR 1:020, the Professional Code of Ethics for Kentucky School Certified Personnel. By entering into this agreement Rison admits no improper actions and is entering in this agreement upon the advice of counsel and to save further costs of defending himself in this matter.
IT IS HEREBY ORDERED THAT:
Rison shall complete the following professional development or training:
1. Rison shall provide written proof to the Board that he has received eight (8) hours of professional development/training in the area of educator certification as approved by the Board, no later than September 1, 2016. Any expense incurred for said training shall be paid by Rison. If Rison fails to satisfy this condition by September 1, 2016, any and all certificates issued to Rison will automatically be suspended until such training is completed and the appropriate written proof is provided to the Board.
2. Rison shall provide written proof to the Board that he has professional development/training in the area of hiring school personnel with an emphasis on compliance with KRS 160.345, as approved by the Board, no later than September 1, 2016.
3. Rison shall provide written proof to the Board that he has received professional development/training in the area of school facilities construction and management, as approved by the Board, no later than September 1, 2016.
It’s pretty clear Rison will be lucky if he escapes termination/pink slipping.
- For his role, which he admits the evidence proves, in the illegal hiring of Joshua Powell’s wife, Anna.
- For the bid rigging to which he admitted.
This is why Montgomery County can’t have nice things. These people.