It’s Not Even 2011 & We’re Gagging Over The Races

November 29th, 2010 · 7 Comments

Will our state legislators end abuse of the elderly and vulnerable? Will Democrats be able to work with Republicans? Here’s hoping. [Page One]

There’s a fight going on for House Appropriations and Hal Rogers is involved. Are y’all askeerd to lose all that pork? [The Hill]

The Kentucky Commission on Human Rights and Native American Heritage Commission will host two workshops this week on Native Americans in the Commonwealth. [H-L]

This is great news, right? The Chinese Politburo, with which Mitch McConnell has a tight relationship, is responsible for all that Google hacking a couple months ago. [Engadget]

Republican Rob Rothenburger filed today to run for Commissioner of Agriculture in 2011. He’s the current Shelby County Judge-Executive. [SoS & His Site]

The most non-shocking news item of the day is about Mitch McConnell and his fellow Republicans lying about small business taxes. [HuffPo]

Fox still loves repeatedly pushing that small business tax lie. [Media Matters]

Really, Ben Chandler is the biggest pussy in the Commonwealth of Kentucky. The Republicans should be ashamed for not beating the guy. Absolutely ashamed. [B&P]

The Kentucky Retirement Systems is getting a fancy new investment chief. [John Cheves]

This two-year federal employee wage freeze is pretty spiff, right? Amiright??? [NY Times]

On December 9, anti-mountaintop removal activist Mary Love will speak about the devastating effects of the practice at the University of Louisville. Ekstrom Library, room W-104. 6:00 P.M. Light refreshments will be served after the talk. [Go To It]

This settlement with Dey, Inc. impacts arguably way more people than any other drug settlement in my recent memory. And it’s for $3.5 million. [Press Release]

Tags: Ben Chandler · Congress · Corruption · Environment · Flashback · Giving Back · Hal Rogers · Mainstream Mistake · Mitch McConnell · Taxes · UofL

• 1 ChristopherM // Nov 29, 2010 at 8:01 pm

That federal salary freeze will save $60 billion over ten years. It’s nice that Republicans are fine with freezing my salary but not with letting the Bush tax cuts on the rich expire back to Clinton-era levels which would save $700 billion. I’m fine with doing my part, but I’d rather not do the CEO of Halliburton’s part as well.

• 2 Anon // Nov 29, 2010 at 8:14 pm

I’m a little surprised this little gem escaped your comment:

Reprimanded Kentucky highway official submits resignation

Can be found on the REDACTED’s website…

• 3 jake // Nov 29, 2010 at 8:41 pm

We don’t discuss the Gannett shit rag here.

And who cares about Chuck Geveden? If he wasn’t loyal to Mongiardo, Beshear wouldn’t be letting him go.

• 4 wondering // Nov 30, 2010 at 9:29 pm

The Chuck Gevedon thing goes much deeper than Kim and Dan. Much, much deeper. My KYTC peeps tell me the inspector general has cultivated a culture of fear. If they really want you, they’ll get you even if it’s something ridiculously simple and inconsequential. Someone gets mad at someone else over a catty remark, they call the IG and the IG is pretty much obligated to investigate. Wastes tremendous amounts of time and scares everyone into thinking that if they even slip up inadvertently, they’ll be fired (or asked to resign, as in one recent non-Gevedon case I heard about).

I’ve heard nothing that would indicate that Gevedon’s decision was not completely voluntary on his part, although he may have decided he wanted to jump before the hounds got him.

• 5 jake // Nov 30, 2010 at 9:44 pm

Since you comment anonymously and I cannot confirm anything you’ve ever said – most folks will assume 100% the opposite of what you have to say.

• 6 wondering // Dec 1, 2010 at 8:47 pm

I’m far from being the only anonymous commenter; I’d say we outnumber commenters who use their real names by about 10-1 or more. That being said, I know what I know and that’s about all I can do is to comment on what I know. If you have heard that Geveden’s resignation was forced or encouraged, I’d love to hear that as well. I know someone who was interviewed by the inspector general about the Geveden situation and there was never any indication given that anything more significant than the written reprimand referenced in the “A Kentucky Newspaper” was going to happen.

• 7 jake // Dec 1, 2010 at 9:03 pm

99% of anonymous commenters are only anonymous to readers – not to me. That allows me to confirm what they’re often saying.