Kentucky’s 2010 General Election Results

November 2nd, 2010 · 33 Comments

It’s finally arrived! The election has come and it’s almost gone. Two long years of hell. Get those sighs of relief ready.

We’ll update results from various races around the state throughout the night beginning at 6:00 P.M. At 7:00 P.M. Eastern, the U.S. Senate race should be called.

Feel free to use the post as a free for all!

Just keep it semi-clean and FUNNY. No Debbie Downer stuff tonight, kids.

U.S. Senate

• Rand Paul – with 90% reporting – 688,842 – 56%
  • Jack Conway – 552,020 – 44% – It’s been an hour and Jack still refuses to concede. Conceded 2 hours later. Decent concession speech.

3rd District U.S. Congress

62nd State House District

• Ryan Quarles – 8,508 – 50.66%
  • Charlie Hoffman – 8,287 – 49.34%

71st State House District

• John Will Stacy – 8,257 – 64%
  • Christian Weigel – 4,712 – 36%

Joe is following the Lexington mayoral race here:

• Jim Newberry – 37,560 – 46%
  • Jim Gray – 42,856 – 53% – This is significant. Kentucky’s first openly gay mayor!

Or follow me on The ‘Ville Voice for Louisville mayoral race (among others) results:

• Hal Heiner – 124,995 – 49%
  • Greg Fischer – 131,136 – 51%

Tags: Andy Barr · Ben Chandler · Congress · Geoff Davis · Jack Conway · John Yarmuth · Rand Paul · Senate

• 1 Luke // Nov 2, 2010 at 5:13 pm

Thanks for you coverage of all things Kentucky Jake. We don’t necessarily agree on policy, but you’ve earned my respect and a permanent place in my daily news rotation.

• 2 blowin' in the wind // Nov 2, 2010 at 5:20 pm

I second the motion. Thanks, Jake.

• 3 Jonathan Meador // Nov 2, 2010 at 6:32 pm

If I’m already half-drunk less than an hour after the polls have closed, does that mean I’m an alcoholic?

• 4 jake // Nov 2, 2010 at 6:40 pm

This is KENTUCKY.

So what do you think?

• 5 Jonathan Meador // Nov 2, 2010 at 6:51 pm

I can taste stomach acid. Should I be worried?

• 6 Steve Magruder // Nov 2, 2010 at 7:05 pm

No surprise that Kentucky has elected Rand Paul. Like with Bunning, we will learn not to expect much. So, no change, or improvement for our state.

• 7 RHines // Nov 2, 2010 at 7:15 pm

Yup, not even a “too close to call.” As soon as the polls closed statewide, Paul was declared the winner.

• 8 Anon // Nov 2, 2010 at 7:17 pm

For the out of staters… is Jim Gray a Republican?

• 9 jake // Nov 2, 2010 at 7:23 pm

Lexington mayoral race is non-partisan.

Gray’s the progressive, openly-gay candidate.

Newberry’s the less progressive, hateful, soon-to-be-former mayor.

• 10 Mark H (Not Hebert) // Nov 2, 2010 at 7:25 pm

I’m sorry Steve, but if Conway ran a halfway decent race, I think you may be entitled to chastise the voters in this state, but he didn’t.

He jumped the shark at Fancy Farm and sealed the deal with the Aqua Buddha ads.

As far was our State being backwards (which it is), that blame lies at the feet of Frankfort, not our Senators.

• 11 Steve Magruder // Nov 2, 2010 at 7:31 pm

Mark H, you always seem to bark at things that aren’t there.

I didn’t chastise anyone.

I just stated a fact — No real change from Bunning in terms of ideology. And no real change or improvement can be expected for the state.

• 12 Mark H (Not Hebert) // Nov 2, 2010 at 7:35 pm

Sorry, if I took it the wrong way. We certainly wouldn’t have seen any improvement with Conway either. I would have thought he wouldn’t have embarrassed us as much, but after the Aqua Buddha episode, that assumption went out the door.

• 13 Steve Magruder // Nov 2, 2010 at 7:37 pm

If we want to talk about Conway, yes, he ran a shitty campaign. He positioned himself as a cowardly dweeb, and that doesn’t work in Kentucky.

I’m so happy to speak my mind now.

• 14 Will // Nov 2, 2010 at 7:41 pm

Welp, I’m glad I stopped paying attention to the Senate race a week ago. Ignorance is bliss.

Congrats to Jim Gray, and I’m keeping my fingers crossed for a Yarmuth landslide.

• 15 Crutnacker // Nov 2, 2010 at 7:47 pm

As much as I hate Rand Paul, surely it isn’t too much to ask to have him do a better job than Bunning.

• 16 jake // Nov 2, 2010 at 7:52 pm

Yarmuth definitely won.

• 17 Steve Magruder // Nov 2, 2010 at 7:53 pm

Crutnacker, I’m wondering if Paul will take enough time away from being a Fox/Tea Party media darling to do even an ounce more of constituent service than Bunning, who did hardly any.

• 18 Will // Nov 2, 2010 at 8:02 pm

Winning is cool…but I was hoping to see a scorched-earth, fields-fallowed, raped-and-pillaged humiliating defeat of Todd Lally after being subjected to his obnoxious hate speech.

11 pts and growing…can’t complain.

• 19 garyguss // Nov 2, 2010 at 8:03 pm

Paul will be too busy running for President to worry about poor old Kentucky.. Maybe its not too late to change my religion to Aqua Buddha, that damn Spaghetti Monster never really helped me out anyway

• 20 Aaron // Nov 2, 2010 at 8:39 pm

What a waste to follow a candidate for 2 years only to have them lose.

• 21 RHines // Nov 2, 2010 at 8:50 pm

Jake, it looks like Campbell County Attorney Jim Daley has been defeated by Steve Franzen.

This is the race where a flyer was mailed by the Daley campaign that portrayed some national rock band members as criminals.

• 22 crack johnway // Nov 2, 2010 at 9:02 pm

Of course Conway refuses concede! Hell, I’d be on the verge of a nervous breakdown if I were him. No worries, Jack, a couple hits of the ol’ Aqua Buddha and you’ll forget all about it…

• 23 Crutnacker // Nov 2, 2010 at 9:22 pm

Did Conway run a campaign? Rand Paul was all over the state and meeting with people. He was making his voice known and showing his face. Conway seemed to be asleep. I think his Aquabuddha ad made him look idiotic and destroyed his chances. But his campaign was running on fumes for months.

• 24 Monica // Nov 2, 2010 at 9:23 pm

Might want to check the Hoffman/Quarles race. Georgetown News-Graphic has Quarles as winner.

• 25 jake // Nov 2, 2010 at 9:35 pm

Monica: Hoffman’s name was in bold as he was ahead at the time.

• 26 Jeez. // Nov 2, 2010 at 9:38 pm

All hail Paul. Or something.

• 27 Rod // Nov 2, 2010 at 9:42 pm

Thanks Jake for a lot of solid reporting on both sides.

• 28 Matt Wyatt // Nov 2, 2010 at 9:52 pm

My client Dennis Parrett won tonight over State Senator Elizabeth Tori. Huge win for the Democrats tonight. Great state senate pick up.

• 29 Mark H (Not Hebert) // Nov 2, 2010 at 10:01 pm

Am I the only one that is nauseated that we now have Mayor Jer II (Eletric Bugaloo)?

• 30 daniel // Nov 2, 2010 at 11:31 pm

Jack showed class and character in his speech tonight.

• 31 Terri // Nov 3, 2010 at 9:55 am

• 32 Steve Magruder // Nov 3, 2010 at 11:56 am

Mark H, time will tell on Greg Fischer. Either he will succeed beyond our expectations, or he will hang himself with the ample rope now available to him.

For the sake of the city of Louisville, I hope he succeeds in making the economy more vibrant.

• 33 ValGirl // Nov 3, 2010 at 9:04 pm

GF will now have to deal with the fact that a WHOLE lot of people are waiting for him to fail. Not necessarily HOPING for it, but expecting that he will for a variety of reasons. He is very politically naive – this isn’t derogatory, just the simple truth. I’m concerned that his lack of knowledge will mean he is swayed to do things by his handlers – and that is the only word I can use for them. His choice of transition chief, someone who has absolutely no idea of how Louisville government actually works, means we have the blind leading the blind. I’m already hearing that he will be making a couple of his officer buddies “special police” – under KRS 95.160 – probably hasn’t noticed that he’ll need a director of safety to do that. And yes, JA has special police working for him too, I know.