Andrew Horne’s Ridiculous Robocall – Wow

October 31st, 2010 · 49 Comments

Haha, so, funny story…

Here’s Andrew Horne’s ridiculous robocall against Rand Paul. Listen for yourself:

If you can’t listen for whatever reason, here’s a transcript:

“I’m calling Christians all across Kentucky about Rand Paul. As a young man, Rand Paul’s men’s club mocked Christians and Christ. The Baylor University president condemned him as rude, crude and grossly sacrilegious.

“Rand Paul said recently, he believes tax deductions for charitable donations are bad. And that President George Bush’s faith-based initiatives are quote, ‘a horrible mistake.’

“Do your own research. See that these quotes aren’t out-of-context. They’re Rand Paul’s own beliefs and his own words. The question is, ‘are they yours?’

“I urge you to vote your conscience on election day.

“This call paid for by Kentucky Leadership Council.”

Using Jesus to scare people away from Rand Paul.

Yeah, that’s what I’d call “leadership.”

Wow.

UPDATE THE NEXT DAY: Yet another reason this robocall is gross.

Tags: Andrew Horne · FEAR! · Rand Paul · Senate

• 1 A Fellow // Oct 31, 2010 at 6:26 pm

I’ve heard there’s another call going out saying Rand Paul supports legalizing meth labs. Isn’t election season great?

• 2 Freemaninky // Oct 31, 2010 at 6:38 pm

It is Halloween. A day for scaring the crap out of people.

If Rand Paul is elected…. me and my people will reenact “Children of the Corn.”

• 3 Al Cross // Oct 31, 2010 at 6:41 pm

I got one of those calls about “Rand Paul’s plan to legalize meth labs,” based on his statement on KET a few years ago, arguably taken out of context, that nonviolent actions should not be crimes. The call was from Horne’s group, the Kentucky Leadership Council, http://www.kentuckyleadership.org.

• 4 spinnikerca // Oct 31, 2010 at 6:42 pm

Wasn’t this the organization you said over the summer that Riddle was directing donors to? Just wondering.

• 5 spinnikerca // Oct 31, 2010 at 6:43 pm

To Al Cross, yeah but PolitiFact has already found that false. The ‘nonviolent actions not crimes’ was in a discussion of motorcycle helmets and the lottery.

• 6 Richie'sMustache // Oct 31, 2010 at 6:49 pm

Trick-or-treat, Jack Conway’s campaign of fear continues!

• 7 jake // Oct 31, 2010 at 7:21 pm

Yup. Mark tried connecting Andrew with Jerry Lundergan at Fancy Farm.

• 8 FactFace // Oct 31, 2010 at 8:37 pm

It may not be right to use fear tactics based on religion, but it sure helped to beat President Obama in Kentucky during the presidential election.

• 9 spinnikerca // Oct 31, 2010 at 8:48 pm

thx

• 10 Crutnacker // Oct 31, 2010 at 10:26 pm

Sigh.

• 11 garyguss // Oct 31, 2010 at 10:39 pm

Bwwaaaa Haaa Ha !

• 12 Jersey McJones // Nov 1, 2010 at 12:58 am

Are the people of Kentucky even just the least bit embarrassed to vote for a loony like Rand Paul? What kind of idiots live there, anyway? I’ve known a couple of Kentuckians in my day. I don’t recall them being insane. Am I mistaken?

JMJ

• 13 Lisa Graas // Nov 1, 2010 at 3:04 am

Madness abounds.

• 14 Andrew Horne // Nov 1, 2010 at 7:33 am

Rand Paul wants to reverse 50 years of policies of equality and justice. Anyone who finds that offensive and doesn’t fight him with everything they have are weak cowards, and in a past life would probably have sat by and lamented over the evils of slavery.
    In college, Rand Paul associated with a group that openly made racist statements through it’s publication and now Paul speaks openly against the civil rights act.
    The group similarly mocked Christianity and Paul is now a self identified Libertarian – one of the basic tenants of Libertarianism is disregard for organized religions if not outright atheism. I don’t think he is atheist nor do I care but if you think the work of religious organizations is important Paul is trouble. He wants to cut the funding of the faith based initiative and if the charitable deduction is eliminated as he advocates many churches will lose large portions of their funding. Voters need to know these things and the press won’t cover it because Paul will not speak to them.
    I wish we had more assets to hit him harder!! But whatever happens on Election Day I’ll sleep well knowing I didn’t sit on my hands and whine!!
    Still love the blog Jake. S/F Andrew

• 15 Dino // Nov 1, 2010 at 7:51 am

Andrew

You do realize your call is having the opposite effect of what the Conway campaign intended with this right?

• 16 jake // Nov 1, 2010 at 7:55 am

Uh, you’re flat-out lying. To claim that Rand Paul isn’t a Christian is a lie. He may have played around in college with a bunch of other rejects like ourselves, but you have zero proof of his beliefs.

And comparing people who don’t work 24/7 for Jack Conway to those who idly allowed SLAVERY?! ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

No, it’s not true that a basic tenants of Libertarianism is outright atheism. Again, another lie.

Isn’t it a basic tenant of Christianity that he is without sin should cast the first stone? I hope you’re getting right with your flying spaghetti monster cloud faerie over the anti-Christian robocall operation you’ve pushed.

Such a shame that right-wing churches could lose their taxpayer-funded war chest. So terrible that my hard-earned money would no longer allow churches to spread hate and ignorance through “charity.” Though, it’s equally ridiculous to suggest that legitimate, non-hater charities shouldn’t enjoy some tax-free funding.

Just a few years ago, Democrats were attacking Dubya’s faith-based initiatives left and right. Funny how times have changed.

The real cowards are people who can’t beat an extreme candidate without pulling things out of their ass and attacking them deeply and personally. Real cowards pull stunts like this when their candidate is 10-15 points down with no hope of winning. Guess the days of winning honorably are over.

• 17 TallGuy // Nov 1, 2010 at 8:32 am

Good response Jake. I mean this, you are fair & balanced. I could list several pages of your comments indicating so. Your readership looks like it is growing by leaps & bounds. Please keep up the great work. Rand Paul, Todd Lally, Hal Heiner supporter.

• 18 jake // Nov 1, 2010 at 8:44 am

TG: Comments aren’t an indication of readership. For every commenter, there’s maybe a thousand visitors. Most folks don’t take the time. Kinda like newspaper commenters.

I don’t intend to be fair/balanced. Because sometimes reality isn’t fair.

• 19 blowin' in the wind // Nov 1, 2010 at 8:48 am

Right on, Jake.

• 20 Andrew Horne // Nov 1, 2010 at 8:50 am

Wow Jake, I say:

you say:

Uh, you’re flat-out lying. To claim that Rand Paul isn’t a Christian is a lie.

I see no point in an attempt at discussion.

• 21 Richie'sMustache // Nov 1, 2010 at 9:03 am

Horne, you’ve made some new enemies, for life!

I’m most disappointed in you because you played the anti-Iraq card when you ran for office, but you totally ignore Paul didn’t support the war (like you) and Jack Conway was standing shoulder-to-shoulder with George W. Bush.

That alone shows you are f#$cking joke that can be bought or sold!

• 22 stickler // Nov 1, 2010 at 9:12 am

Just to be clear, I think you guys mean tenets, not tenants.

• 23 E // Nov 1, 2010 at 9:15 am

“We favor the freedom to engage in or abstain from any religious activities that do not violate the rights of others. We oppose government actions which either aid or attack any religion.”__From The Libertarian Party Platform.

Quite a stretch on your part to get to; [one of the basic tenants of Libertarianism is disregard for organized religions if not outright atheism].
    If you are going to exercise your right to free speech, please, at least use facts when doing so.

• 24 wondering // Nov 1, 2010 at 9:26 am

If it is true that there is no such thing as a former Marine, then Horne has brought dishonor upon the USMC.

• 25 jake // Nov 1, 2010 at 9:36 am

You’re right, Andrew, there is no point in discussion.

You are lying. Literally lying. It’s one thing to call Paul out for flip-flopping, for being crazy in college and probably smoking eight tons of pot a semester, for being unclear about what he does and does not stand for. It’s an entirely different thing to say he’s not a Christian.

I am personally disappointed.

• 26 Richie'sMustache // Nov 1, 2010 at 9:40 am

Horne, who is funding your group doing Jack’s dirty work? Isn’t it hypocritical for Jack to call out secret donors, when he has them making these sort of sick calls? Just saying!

• 27 jake // Nov 1, 2010 at 9:43 am

wondering: Attacking Horne’s military credentials is as ridiculous as attacking Rand Paul’s religious beliefs.

• 28 Mark Stanton // Nov 1, 2010 at 10:08 am

I don’t agree with the attack on Paul’s religion and college shenanigans at all, and I am ticked off because I think that strategy essentially closed the election for Paul.

However, Horne does not say Paul is not a Christian, why do you keep saying that?

@E – after reading your definitions I would say disregard for organized religion IS a tenet of Libertarianism. Adding outright atheism to the statement is incorrect, but the definition you give does show disregard for organized religion.

• 29 jake // Nov 1, 2010 at 10:28 am

“They’re his own beliefs” – that said it all.

• 30 Freemaninky // Nov 1, 2010 at 10:30 am

“one of the basic tenants of Libertarianism is disregard for organized religions if not outright atheism. ”

WTF?!?! Um, no it’s not. It’s a complete disregard of legislating morality. As a Methodist I find Libertarianism as a great form of my “Free-Will” religious beliefs.

• 31 E // Nov 1, 2010 at 10:48 am

Mark,
    Do you feel the same way about the Constitution/First Amendment?

“Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof…”

• 32 FactFace // Nov 1, 2010 at 11:09 am

Anyone can state they’re a Christian, but if you read The Bible their actions are suppose to prove it. Christians will be known by “their fruits.” However, it is not up to anyone to decide who is or who isn’t a Christian. That is between the individual and God. But, like it or not, most voters in Kentucky do judge a candidate by their religion. I understand what Mr. Horne was trying to say.

• 33 Rod // Nov 1, 2010 at 11:22 am

“Rand Paul wants to reverse 50 years of policies of equality and justice.”

No. He wants to end the idea of the Federal Goverment growing unabated for the last 50 years.

” – one of the basic tenants of Libertarianism is disregard for organized religions if not outright atheism”

Don’t even know where to start here … I can’t even believe your in politics at this level without a better understanding of Political Philosophy 101. Hence, the nutjob robocall I guess?

“He wants to cut the funding of the faith based initiative and if the charitable deduction is eliminated …”

I’m sure Paul wants to vastly expand deductions. You guys want to close them so you can continue to feed the beast in DC. Even if the faith based intiative ended, do you really think these churches and charitable organizations would go broke overnight???Geeees. Head hits desk. Thump.

Mr. Horne, we, the Worshipers of the Great Aqua Buddah … of which you must now pay Homage … bid you goodbye and good riddance, after tommorrow afternoon.

• 34 Lisa Graas // Nov 1, 2010 at 12:38 pm

Not defending the robo-call at all. I’d never have done it, but RPK sent out a Rand Paul flyer with a big cross on it. You can’t have it both ways.

People have a right to know what their candidate’s religious views are. Both candidates have handled this badly, if you ask me, but to say that we can’t talk about it isn’t right either.

• 35 spinnikerca // Nov 1, 2010 at 1:08 pm

Andrew Horne, a lot of people here know a lot more about libertarianism than you do. A lot of libertarians are religious (not all Christian.) Ayn Rand was objectivist, and didn’t think much of libertarians. Libertarians, for example, believe in charity….and many many many believe in God.

By the way, Campaign Watchdog just SPECIFICALLY found your robocall false. Are you going to continue it?

DON’T POST LINKS WITHOUT PERMISSION

• 36 wondering // Nov 1, 2010 at 1:46 pm

I didn’t attack his military credentials. I just said his current actions bring dishonor upon the USMC.

• 37 brown // Nov 1, 2010 at 1:53 pm

Lisa,

You are correct. Anyone running for an office that will allow them to write and/or vote on federal laws for 6 LONG years — should have their life be a wide open book.

Rand Paul dodged every media outlet except Fox … to me … that is enough to not vote for him.

Before I let anyone have a guaranteed 6 year job, with perks that any American would love to have, who will be writing US laws .. then I want to know EVERY SINGLE THING about their past, present and future … including do they wipe and wash.

I even want to know, “did they ever tie up a woman?” You see, I went to college and I never knew a single sole who tied up a woman – not even as a joke.

I want to know, did they start the organization that holds their certificate to practice medicine.

Do they think government has a right to even KNOW if a woman is pregnant let alone, what that woman will do with her pregnancy.

Do they support domestic Corporations outsourcing US jobs?

Do they support taxing domestic Corporations who do outsource jobs higher than those that do not outsource jobs.

Do they think that Corporations whose home base is the USA should be allowed to get Tax Payer Subsidies while shipping off US jobs
    even though while being home based in the USA
    they benefit from all the Tax Payer services: Military to protect their headquarters, police, fire, education, garbage pickup, streetlights, federal roads to transport their goods, bridges, TSA, Coast Guard, libraries and all the other tax payer paid for services.

Do they turn a blind eye to Corporations who hire illegal immigrants and then blame a President for illegal immigration?

Do they want America to become LEADERS in the exploration of Alternative Energy – or are they willing to let China steamroll over the USA on the Alternative Energy front?

Do they allow for Military Outsourcing Contracts with Corporations have employee agreements that will not allow a woman to prosecute her alleged rapists?

See… those are some of the things I care about —in addition to – do they wipe & wash.

• 38 brown // Nov 1, 2010 at 1:58 pm

Wondering,

Your comment is juvenile. Andrew Horne did not dishonor the Military with his robocall.

Dishonor would be when W & Cheney committed war crimes.

Dishonor would be when Oliver North violated Federal Laws and illegally sold US weapons to Iran when he was in the Reagan Administration.

Dishonor is when these military flakes sue President Obama under their birther garbage.

There is no dishonor in Horne doing a robocall talking about what is important to Horne … nothing illegal about it and nothing dishonorable about it.

Just because you strongly disagree with his position does not mean he has dishonored the military.

• 39 brown // Nov 1, 2010 at 2:10 pm

Jake

To your comment: “To claim that Rand Paul isn’t a Christian is a lie. ”

I’ve read the robocall script you provided. I do not see anywhere in that script where Horne is claiming Paul is not a Christian.

I read Horne’s comment to you and, again, I did not see anywhere in his comment that he “claimed” Paul “isn’t a christian.”

• 40 Anon // Nov 1, 2010 at 2:14 pm

I’m a Rand fan, and believe it or not, also a Jake fan.

• 41 Learn // Nov 1, 2010 at 2:22 pm

Have we learned anything from watching Dr. Dan throw people’s religion in their face when it suited his political need? And how far has he got using that technique? Ah…NOWHERE!

The definition of insane is repeating the same crap while always expecting a diff outcome.

REAL people in KY don’t like their politics and religion mixed together, they hate it.

• 42 jake // Nov 1, 2010 at 2:42 pm

Let’s dig down and say this: semantics.

Andrew Horne’s silly robocall says/implies/suggests/leads people to believe/uses quotes to paint the picture that Rand Paul is not a Christian.

Personally, that’d probably be a plus in my book.

But it’s ridiculous.

• 43 spinnikerca // Nov 1, 2010 at 4:21 pm

Horne’s call also says the head of Baylor found RAND to be all sorts of nasty things. No. He said those things about an organization Rand may have belonged to years AFTER those things were said about a particular stunt, and the group was banned. (Again.)

• 44 jake // Nov 1, 2010 at 4:29 pm

spinnikerca: Probably should have clicked the link before commenting.

• 45 Mark Stanton // Nov 1, 2010 at 5:41 pm

@E –

Disregard; Verb: Pay no attention to; ignore.

If you are neither aiding or attacking I would say that is very much like “paying no attention to”.

• 46 bestmid // Nov 1, 2010 at 6:36 pm

Eloquent, brown.

Semantics is right, Jake.

Rand Paul can call himself anything he wants.
    Actions are what really counts, and to me, it is hard to find much of what a Christian would call compassion in his actions. He certainly doesn’t come across as “Jesus-like”, if that’s what a Christian is supposed to be.

• 47 wondering // Nov 1, 2010 at 8:52 pm

What’s that sound? It’s the sound of my point going “whoosh” sailing over your head.

Horne’s outfit lied in the robocall. It is said that there is no such thing as a former Marine. If that is indeed the case, then a Marine told one that just caused Pinocchio’s nose to grow the length of the WK Parkway. Where is the honor in that?

• 48 brown // Nov 1, 2010 at 11:31 pm

TO: Wondering

I stand by my comment. -Brown

• 49 Monica // Nov 2, 2010 at 11:36 am

Andrew’s foot must really be smarting. I can see the gunshot wound from here.