These Next Few Days…

October 30th, 2010 · 24 Comments

Campaign season is in high gear and over the next few days both sides will be going 100 miles per hour.

So, if you notice any hijinks or shady crap – Democratic or Republican – be sure to contact us at our Tips address. Photos, videos, whatever you’ve got. The same also applies if you see anything super-positive or heart warming.

And more importantly, on Tuesday, please do your part and cast a vote. It doesn’t matter who you support. Just go do it. If you’ve got elderly friends, relatives, neighbors? Ask them if they need help getting to their polling location.

Click here to find out who your candidates are.

Tags: Giving Back · Spotted

• 1 Bruce Maples // Oct 30, 2010 at 4:02 pm

Text “where?” to ***** and it will ask for your address. Text back your address and it will tell you your polling location.

• 2 jake // Oct 30, 2010 at 4:32 pm

Sorry, Bruce, had to edit that.

It’s what the DNC uses to capture cell phone numbers.

The best way to determine your polling location is to visit the Voter Information site operated by the Secretary of State.

• 3 Sarah // Oct 30, 2010 at 5:44 pm

Jim Gray is giving rides to people to the polls? Legal?

• 4 jake // Oct 30, 2010 at 5:51 pm

It’s very legal.

• 5 JTT // Oct 30, 2010 at 6:07 pm

My pet peeve is election signs on public property – and they are rife!

• 6 Bruce Maples // Oct 30, 2010 at 8:21 pm

Jake – heard about it on Fast Company. You sure it’s DNC?

• 7 Laurie Spezzano // Oct 31, 2010 at 9:07 am

Registered voters, please DO open your doors this weekend when people come knocking. It’s just your friendly campaign volunteers encouraging you to vote and making sure you know your polling location. At this point, no one’s trying to persuade you, only visiting supporters to Get Out the Vote. These front-door encounters are the most rewarding part of the campaign for many tired volunteers. Buoy each other up, and maybe offer some chocolate!

• 8 jake // Oct 31, 2010 at 9:40 am

Bruce: Yup. Got scammed into it myself and then Googled it.

Laurie: Could also be the Jehova people. You never know. They’re persistent.

• 9 daniel // Oct 31, 2010 at 10:10 am

Whether there’s a Mezzuzah on the door or not!

• 10 tbrauch // Oct 31, 2010 at 12:16 pm

If you answer the door naked, the Jehovah’s out you on their “do not knock” list for at least a few years.

I imagine it would work for political volunteers as well.

• 11 bestmid // Oct 31, 2010 at 12:20 pm

Now that’s a public service announcement!

• 12 Brian // Oct 31, 2010 at 1:44 pm

Negative Conway story on front page Politico.

Thoughts?

• 13 FactFace // Oct 31, 2010 at 2:26 pm

@Brian, I didn’t think it was really a negative story. As for Conway’s brother, he hasn’t been charged and even if he were, a person cannot be responsible for their family members’ actions. The article stated Conway told his brother to seek legal advice. I don’t see that as being a problem. I would do the same if I had a brother in trouble.

Now, if there was evidence he tried to stop or interfere with the investigation, then there would be cause for concern (remember Sarah & Todd Palin and the trooper incident). Nah, nothing to get excited about in my opinion from what has been reported.

• 14 jake // Oct 31, 2010 at 2:31 pm

Here’s the deal: I’m all for conversation. But this is about hijinks and such on the campaign trail.

The Conway issue is retarded. I think the Ethics issues is a far bigger deal. Unfortunately, the teabaggers can’t sit still long enough to figure out which fire has more fuel.

• 15 FactFace // Oct 31, 2010 at 2:36 pm

Jake, I knew it was off topic, but Brian wanted an opinion.

Everyone make sure you answer the door, even to the Jehovah Witnesses. You never know. You may be able to convince them to vote.

• 16 jake // Oct 31, 2010 at 2:51 pm

I’m not complaining. Just wanted to throw out a reminder.

• 17 jake // Oct 31, 2010 at 3:20 pm

Folks: ASK before posting an external link.

I’m not kidding. I don’t care if you’re progressive or what. But ask. Unless I approve it or someone who works for me approves it, don’t do it.

• 18 Anon // Oct 31, 2010 at 3:47 pm

“Unfortunately, the teabaggers can’t sit still long enough to figure out which fire has more fuel.”

It seems the Mongiardo people weren’t able to use the issue to beat Jack. If his team wasn’t able to do it, would it be possible for the rightists to pull it off, even if they tried?

• 19 jake // Oct 31, 2010 at 4:26 pm

Mongiardo couldn’t use it against him because all the facts weren’t out there.

Anyone paying attention would realize – having read about it here – that a Herald-Leader reporter sat on information that I only brought up a couple weeks ago.

• 20 Brian // Oct 31, 2010 at 5:09 pm

Rand up 15 in latest PPP.

FML

• 21 A Fellow // Oct 31, 2010 at 5:16 pm

15? That’s quite a number. You know, for a guy who was unelectable both in the primary and the general, it sure looks like America’s Eye Doctor is going rack up two Randslides in a row.

• 22 Anonymous // Oct 31, 2010 at 5:39 pm

Audio recording of robocall being used against Rand Paul right now:

MODERATOR: For the millionth time, DO NOT POST EXTERNAL LINKS WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION.

• 23 Brian // Oct 31, 2010 at 9:59 pm

Wow, I posted that link right below that warning.

Fail

• 24 wondering // Nov 1, 2010 at 1:12 am

I hate — absolutely HATE — door-to-door campaigning. It’s bad enough that the Mormons, Jehovah’s Witnesses, trick-or-treaters and band fruit sellers show up. Last thing I want to do is deal with people trying to tell me to vote for them. I can make my mind up based on my own knowledge, campaign ads, personal acquaintance if it’s a local election and ideology. I don’t need someone interrupting my nap, my ballgame, my meal or anything else I’m doing.