Does Rand Paul Have Something To Hide?

April 30th, 2010 · 56 Comments

Note to new readers: Please visit our front page for more on Rand Paul.

Original story below…

Guess how much a successful ophthalmologist like Rand Paul makes in a year? Just $46,143, according to his personal financial disclosure (Warning: PDF Link). Not sure how someone who lives in a $500,000 home in a gated community can pay his bills on just $46K. He’s got rental property and an LLC in Bowling Green that paid him $176,223 – along with “royalties,” however. Whatever “royalties” means.

He owns two properties in Bowling Green. One valued at up to $500,000 from which he received up to $100,000 in rent and another valued up to $100,000 for which he received up to $15,000 in rent. He’s also got a condo in Destin, Florida valued at up to $250,000 from which he received up $15,000 in rent. He apparently bought it (Warning: PDF Link) from his in-laws. But the deed was so fishy, the closing attorney wouldn’t take ownership of the paperwork – see page 2.

He owes up to $250,000 on the condo and up to $250,000 on his medical office.

Rand lists himself as president of Alchemy, LLC, a Bowling Green entity through which much of his income seems to flow (related note: his U.S. Senate campaign uses the Alchemy address as its headquarters, yet it’s never paid rent and has never reported an in-kind contribution from Alchemy). His wife, Kelley, his father, Ron, and Ronnie Paul are all members. Interestingly, though, Ron hasn’t listed Alchemy, LLC on his own financial disclosure in the last five years.

Does Alchemy, LLC own all of Rand’s metals stocks and such? Just like all the metals and gold interests and such his father owns?

Some of the highlights from the elder Paul’s PFD:

• Agnico Eagle Mines Common Stock worth up to $100,000
  • Alumina Common Stock worth up to $15,000 with up to $1,000 in income
  • AngloGold Ashanti LTD (formerly Golden Cycle Gold Corp) worth up to $250,000
  • Apollo Gold Corp worth up to $15,000
  • Barrick Gold Corp Common stock worth up to $250,000 with up to $2,500 in income
  • Claude Research Inc. C Stock worth up to $15,000
  • Newmont Mining Corp C Stock worth up to $250,000 with income up to $2,500
  • Pan American Siler worth up to $50,000
  • Capital gains from Pan American Silver Warrants for a $27,440 transaction
  • Silver Wheaton Corp Common ISIN worth up to $15,000
  • Virginia Mines Inc. Common Stock worth up to $15,000
  • Vista Gold Corp Common Stock worth up to $1,000
  • Viterra Inc Com (formerly Saskatchewan Wheat Pool Inc ISIN) worth up to $15,000
  • Wesdome Gold Mines Ltd worth up to $15,000

You’ll probably want to read the rest after the jump – especially if you’re foaming at the mouth in your meemaw’s basement…

Rand loves to tout that he founded Kentucky Taxpayers United. And on the campaign trail, he’s quick to point out that KTU has raised tons of cash and given it to candidates over the years. So why was the organization dissolved ten years ago and why has it never filed a 990? He and his wife say they’re the reason Brett Guthrie was first elected to the State Senate. So it makes no sense that an organization that influential would just buck legal requirements like pat-a-cake.

Rand doesn’t list that he’s President of the National Board of Ophthalmology, Inc. – a Kentucky Non-Profit Corporation. His wife, Kelley, is listed as Vice President and Hilton Ashby (his father-in-law) is listed as Secretary. His financial disclosure indicates that he owes Ashby up to $250,000.

I took at look at the 2009 annual report (Warning: PDF Link) for NBO and, strangely, he changed the address for his wife, father-in-law and himself to Portsmouth, Ohio. An address that’s home of Revolutionary Championship Wrestling, operated by Dirk “Extreme” Cunningham, a professional wrestler of some sort. No clue why. No clue why you’d try to change the address of an organization you’re super-proud to be a part of. Especially since addresses didn’t change on the Secretary of State’s site. (Note: The non-profit was administratively dissolved for some odd reason in 2000 only to be reinstated in late 2005.)

Upon digging further into NBO, one finds that it’s barely existed aside from it’s non-profit filing. There are no 990s filed (just like there are none for Kentucky Taxpayers United or whatever it’s called). But an article in 2004 says NBO was providing a much cheaper and affordable online test – apparently as an alternative to getting board certifications through, you know, an actual board. Interestingly, Rand Paul isn’t listed as a certified ophthalmologist with the American Board of Medical Specialties. He’s apparently just an MD.

Is NBO pulling a scheme like this one, where the organization provides a sham certification in exchange for money so you don’t have to pay exorbitant licensing fees every ten years in an attempt to give patients the appearance of certification? Because there’s no other excuse for not participating with the American Academy of Ophthalmology. If there are other doctors who don’t want to take an examination from the AAO, have they paid Rand Paul dues? Is he just sitting on cash that goes unreported?

What does all this mean? Way too many questions and variables that don’t pass the proverbial smell test.

Tags: Rand Paul · Senate · Spotted

• 1 pmilatty // Apr 30, 2010 at 10:50 am

Wow! That was a biting expose. But WHO CARES!

Honestly, all that matters to the people of Kentucky is that Rand Paul says that he is going to gut the federal bureaucracy. That’s all we need to know. He has our vote.

• 2 jake // Apr 30, 2010 at 10:52 am

And I’m supposed to trust in what you say because you’re an attorney in Virginia or because your a failed 1998 Kentucky State Senate candidate? Which one?

• 3 AttentionWhore // Apr 30, 2010 at 10:58 am

Looks like you have your tin-foil hat on this morning!

• 4 Dan // Apr 30, 2010 at 11:24 am

Well somebody is posting Nate Hodson desperation anonymous emails.

Another “OMG teh big news!!!1″ that’ll go as far as Gillespie, Hightower, Saltsman, FEC this-or-thats and all the other yawners that were presented here in such a laughably overdramatic fashion. I swear Jake, you need a fainting couch every time a Rand Paul campaign volunteer puts up a yard sign on a right-of-way.

• 5 Elihu Smails // Apr 30, 2010 at 11:37 am

• 6 EPluribusUnum // Apr 30, 2010 at 11:45 am

What do you expect from an anti-regulation right wing idealogue who wants no government unless its beneficial to his agenda? All those apparent failures to file, to report, to declare, to release, to show, to list, to account for are all GUVMINT REGULASHUNS thems whut we be AGIN

We dont want NO GUVMINT less’n hit be our CHECK

• 7 spinnikerca // Apr 30, 2010 at 11:57 am

Over time, I’ll look into it, but a couple of your questions are pretty easy to suppose an answer too, and I bet the others have answers, too, if you don’t START from the supposition that something is fishy.

For example, many people ‘start up’ projects that don’t work out, hence ‘fishy endings’ then find they can use the entity for something so bring it back. that is unpersuasive.

How does he afford his ‘holdings’? Well, as you point out the ‘huge holdings’ are mortgaged so he really owns less, and he has (presumably) metals that would serve as collateral, and family who guaranteed loans. I don’t see anything fishy at all, remembering he was NOT in politics and was just playing around with his own assets privately.

The licensing issue, I don’t get entirely, but will look into. However, I’m starting from the supposition there is nothing there. I’ve had a LOT of experience with having nonsense thrown at this family by people who just want to see if ‘anything sticks’.

• 8 jake // Apr 30, 2010 at 11:58 am

Didn’t get it from Hodson.

When I approached the Grayson Camp, they were mostly unaware of this information.

My tipsters are not affiliated with Trey Grayson in any way, but are friends of mine.

• 9 jake // Apr 30, 2010 at 12:01 pm

spinn: I bet you do have a lot of Rand Paul experience, being in California and all. But I appreciate your input.

These aren’t simple start-ups that didn’t work out. The Taxpayers group is something Rand’s campaign talks about 24/7 and touts like crazy. He says he’s raised all kinds of cash and spent all kinds of cash. He’s very much IN politics with his group and has been for a lot of years.

• 10 AttentionWhore // Apr 30, 2010 at 12:14 pm

Jake,

Link me to one article that quotes Paul or one video that shows him saying he raised all kinds of money with the Taxpayers group…..?

I’ll be waiting……

This is just another smear campaign by you. I guess you were smeared a lot growing up, huh?

• 11 jake // Apr 30, 2010 at 12:21 pm

I love it when Paultard concern trolls scream, “It didn’t happen if it’s not on YouTube!!1!”

Because that’s obviously the barometer for whether or not something has occurred.

Have you BEEN to any campaign events or ever talked to Saint Dr. Rand? If you had, you’d know what I’m talking about.

Yeah, I sure love smearing candidates for elected office by asking questions about their candidacy. Nice spin.

• 12 AttentionWhore // Apr 30, 2010 at 12:23 pm

I’m still waiting…

You made up the part about him raising money.

You know knowing about his Taxpayers Group, do you?

• 13 AttentionWhore // Apr 30, 2010 at 12:25 pm

Jake, where did you get that info if you didn’t read it in an article or see it on youtube?

Did you go to a campaign event?

• 14 AttentionWhore // Apr 30, 2010 at 12:27 pm

You BS is passing my smell test!

• 15 AttentionWhore // Apr 30, 2010 at 12:28 pm

*your*

• 16 spinnikerca // Apr 30, 2010 at 12:31 pm

Jake, yeah, I’m in California.

How many concerned citizens, not corporate welfare leachers do you think the other candidates in your race have trying to shout out that THEY are the special candidate the rest of the country really hopes you will elect to reform cronyism in government? Out of state doesn’t mean my interests don’t align with yours.

” Elihu Smails // Apr 30, 2010 at 11:37 am

Interesting how he invests in commodities and has virtually nothing in equities or fixed income…I guess thats why those gold companies advertise on Fox News. ”

If you think Keynesian economics is a calculated rip off of the poor and middle class in favor of wall street and DC, you tend to invest in metals and mining. Remember who his father is.

And I agree with Attention Whore in that I never heard him say he raised a lot of money. We have a ton of ‘groups’ that are very heavy on volunteer time, but don’t collect money, people donate directly to payment for a project, not to an entity. So I can’t say what he used his group for. I don’t think you are making it up, I just see perfectly innocent explanations for all of this, whereas you think it raises red flags.

I absolutely admit to bias, I really like him and think the country and the people would be much better off if he were elected.

• 17 jake // Apr 30, 2010 at 12:32 pm

You’re OBSESSED.

Do you never pay attention? I get around Kentucky on a regular basis. And I talk to tons of people on a daily basis.

Keep spinning, Paultard. Keep spinning.

• 18 AttentionWhore // Apr 30, 2010 at 12:32 pm

*Your BS isn’t passing my smell test….*

How can he only own two properties, but receive rental income on both …… and you claim he owns a $ 500,000 home in a gated community.

Is he renting that out or living in it? Doesn’t add up!

• 19 jake // Apr 30, 2010 at 12:34 pm

Well, I guess all the Paultards are taking a break from masturbating in meemaw’s basement.

Did you read the attached personal financial disclosure? I didn’t pull the information out of thin air.

• 20 AttentionWhore // Apr 30, 2010 at 12:38 pm

I’ve been following the senate race as close as anyone. I’ve heard all candidates (even the unknowns) speak many times. Not to mention, I’ve probably read every article that mentioned any of the candidates.

I know who stands for what and who says what. I get around the state and have friends, too.

So, you keep spinning and smiling.

The senate candidate you push doesn’t even stand up for the issue that is probably most important to you, that has to suck.

• 21 jake // Apr 30, 2010 at 12:48 pm

And who is it I push, dear Paultard?

Are you sure I don’t just work against someone instead of pushing anyone?

You forget I speak to the candidates I like on a regular basis.

Keep commenting. You make me money.

• 22 AttentionWhore // Apr 30, 2010 at 12:59 pm

You favor Jack Conway over any of the other candidates, duh!

I favor Rand Paul, Jack second.

So, since you called up Nate Hodson, I’m going to assume you like Trey Grayson and keep in close contact with him on a regular basis!

I hope this post made you 5 cents.

• 23 jake // Apr 30, 2010 at 1:08 pm

Do I favor Jack Conway or do I just detest Daniel Mongiardo?

If you paid half as much attention as you said you do, you’d know Nate Hodson wouldn’t be the guy I call up to get the skinny.

• 24 spinnikerca // Apr 30, 2010 at 1:10 pm

” He may win the primary, but that’s gonna open him up to even more scrutiny from the Democrats in the fall. Get used to it. It’s politics. ”

If perpetuating that sort of politics is your goal, terrific. Pity for those who may read this and may just be trying to figure out what is the right thing to do for the country is, though. Party polarization isn’t for the people’s best interest, but for the parties’ best interest, IMHO.

• 25 jake // Apr 30, 2010 at 1:12 pm

That’s the ticket! Express your concern. Fear for the feeble-minded who don’t know better than to believe everything on the internets is 100% real life. Good job.

• 26 AttentionWhore // Apr 30, 2010 at 1:15 pm

Jake,

Take you own words to heart. You are spreading fear over the internet about Rand Paul with smears (you call them questions)!

• 27 tbrauch // Apr 30, 2010 at 1:25 pm

Rand Paul claims that KTU poured thousands of dollars into races. How’d he get the money if it wasn’t raised?

• 28 wondering // Apr 30, 2010 at 1:25 pm

I thought that was Mongiardo’s job. Oh wait, that’s in his in-laws’ basement.

• 29 jake // Apr 30, 2010 at 1:31 pm

What was that, again, about me making something up, Whore?

Maybe you should click that link.

• 30 Media Czech // Apr 30, 2010 at 1:35 pm

That doesn’t count, Jake. No liberal media “facts” allowed. You must only provide us with evidence from the only credible news source, YouTube.

• 31 jake // Apr 30, 2010 at 1:39 pm

AMERICA HATER!!1!

• 32 AttentionWhore // Apr 30, 2010 at 2:33 pm

The link does not reference ANY money being RAISED!

“Poured thousands” could simply mean he spent 2000 bucks running some commercials on the radio.

The Taxpayers “Group” rated elected officials on taxes by having them fill out a questionnaire, it wasn’t exactly some major operation, from my understanding. It was just something Paul did to point out which elected officials supported lowering NOT raising taxes.

Spin away… but, once again you “bend” the truth.

• 33 jake // Apr 30, 2010 at 3:01 pm

Apparently you folks really are mentally retarded or just can’t read?

And I quote:

Paul said the group helped Brett Guthrie, now a Republican congressman from Bowling Green, win his first state Senate race in 1998 by 130 votes. “We put several thousand dollars worth of ads on saying that his opponent wouldn’t take the taxpayer pledge, and he won a very close election,” he said.

You can’t spin that, kids.

• 34 Media Czech // Apr 30, 2010 at 3:06 pm

Reading is HARD WORK

• 35 Just me // Apr 30, 2010 at 3:12 pm

You know…if all these questions are of such little consequence, why are certain ‘tards having such a shit fit?

LOVE IT!!

• 36 Lucas // Apr 30, 2010 at 4:46 pm

Jake, do you think Paul’s candidacy is over after this? I don’t think Grayson will pass the chance to use this.

• 37 jake // Apr 30, 2010 at 4:48 pm

I think Rand Paul could sodomize a dog, on camera with a Catholic priest, and still beat Trey Grayson.

• 38 Lucas // Apr 30, 2010 at 4:52 pm

LOL.

Also, it’s good to know that you are aware of all the details about Ron Paul’s investments on gold and metals. That way, when the whole economy comes crashing down, you will know he was right!

• 39 AttentionWhore // Apr 30, 2010 at 5:24 pm

That link proves nothing…..

Who is we? Him and his wife?

• 40 Bob // Apr 30, 2010 at 11:16 pm

Quote of the year: Jake @ 4:42.

• 41 Interested // May 1, 2010 at 12:41 am

It appears the questions that deserve some further clarification are:

1. Does Rand actually make $46k or is this number intentionally deflated in order to not pay social security, medicare, self employment taxes etc? If he does make $46k fine, but that amount is hard to reconcile three kids, a 500k house (which is public record) and a spouse who does not work out of the home.

2. Why would an attorney put the language he did in the deed transfer from Ashby to Alchemy? If the proper reporting was made to the IRS, Paul could certainly produce this immediately.

3. Why has Ron Paul never acknowledged he is an officer in Alchemy. He’s filed numerous disclosure forms. The mere absence doesn’t make it wrong, but it’s an “Ethics” disclosure so it should be disclosed.

4. Why has KTU never filed the appropriate paperwork with the IRS (Form 990′s are the absolute minimum)? A properly filed 990 would clear answer how much this group took in, spent, and who received the funds.

5. Why if Paul has personally been signing the National Board of Opthalmalogy (NBO) annual reports did he not admit his interest in his personal financial disclosure? Why did this group never file, like the KTU, the minimum forms with the IRS? Interestingly both the KTU and the NBO from the original filing documents were created on the same day with the same three directors.

6. Is the NBO a nationally acredited board certifcation group? If so, that’s fine, but you can search the “tubes” yourself and find no one is willing to mention or even acknowledge it. The only thing you find is a smattering of US doctors, and a lot of foreign physicians claiming to be members. For that matter, Rand Paul doesn’t even say a word on his own personal website about it.

7. Referencing both the KTU and NBO, the public deserves to know how much these organizations have received and how much they spend and and on what. No non profit, from a church to a advocacy group or any charity are allowed to receive funds on a tax deductible basis and not be open to public scrutiny.

To have an debate over whether it was a “ton of money” or a few thousand is pretty trivial in the big picture of the questions posed.

It’s pretty obvious that no one has ever asked these questions because no one thought or knew to look into them. Rand Paul decided on his own to try and be elected to the US Senate and by that very decision made himself subject to the disclosures required by office (the disclosure form) and much closer scrutiny of him and those associations he claims to lead (by claiming to be President of).

Regardless of whether he ran for the US Senate or not, the 501C3 non profits he formed shouldn’t be above the law regarding the reporting requirements. Why should he or the groups he formed be any different from what’s required of any regular citizen or organization.

There are several questions others may have beyond those listed above, but at the minimum I would think the ones offered should be something Paul or his campaign can answer or explain fairly simply if there is no real issue with them. If it’s not something they are willing to talk about it or can provide a reasonable explanation then the public deserves and should demand a more thorough accounting. We would expect the same of any business that received TARP funds, stimulus incentives or the like.

• 42 Key // May 1, 2010 at 1:00 am

Lucas,

Can I have your Federal Reserve Notes?

• 43 Not the attention weirdo // May 1, 2010 at 12:50 pm

Mr or Mrs attention, if you had actually read the pfd rather than blown a gasket trying to find anything you could refute you would have seen he was not required to list his home mtg.

Taking a few minutes to read the material might be helpful. that on top of demanding any article or video about raising money for the ktu and then not accepting a statewide newspaper when its shown to you will only make people not beleieve any questiom you raise.

• 44 Lucas // May 2, 2010 at 8:55 am

Key,

The point of having gold is to use it for savings instead of FRN. For regular spending, obviously, pretty much everyone uses FRN.

• 45 b // May 2, 2010 at 12:59 pm

The 46k I’m sure is net income not gross or is just a nominal salary he pays himself to avoid double taxation, and is perfectly legal. Nothing on here looks too suspicious to me. You can tell you’re just putting a bunch of empty words on paper trying to create some sort of mosaic theory of shadiness and its not working very well. I mean for good grief you have his dad’s alleged stock portfolio which you don’t cite a source for and regardless it is pointless irrelevant information to begin with. Wow his dad owns EQUITY positions in commodity stocks, that criminal. Wow he has mortgages on a condo and his house, he owes his father in law 250k. I am sure he has a good credit rating, and if he didn’t that would be more news than this garbage. Is this is the most dirt you can pull up on him?

• 46 jake // May 2, 2010 at 1:12 pm

Do you out-of-staters ever read before commenting?

And I quote, “the elder Paul’s PFD” – meaning Ron Paul’s personal financial disclosure. And you say I don’t cite a source?

And “pointless irrelevant information” ? Yeah, PFDs are totally pointless and irrelevant.

Keep the spin coming, kids!

• 47 b // May 2, 2010 at 2:23 pm

How is his father’s investments in gold pertinent to his campaign for US Senate?

Please explain that to me Jake.

• 48 jake // May 2, 2010 at 2:37 pm

Seriously – read before commenting. Comprehension is key.

Daddy’s investments are an insight to Rand’s investment ideals – especially when he’s hiding his investments from the public eye.

• 49 b // May 2, 2010 at 3:06 pm

Right… sorta like Trey Grayson’s Dad being a banker who took TARP and members of his finance committee being bankers who took TARP would be insight into how Trey Grayson says he is anti-bailout.

No story there right.

• 50 jake // May 2, 2010 at 3:14 pm

Well, Rand Paul is doing what Ron Paul does.

I don’t see Trey Grayson acting as a banker.

But Trey Grayson is also losing.

• 51 Interested // May 2, 2010 at 10:29 pm

So again, why is no one discussing the non profits Rand Paul formed, then didn’t file the required tax forms. Or why not discuss the National Board of Opthamalogy. I’m sure all of the Paul supporters on here can certainly provide a lot of explanations since you’ve known about it for so long. He created this group in 1999. This is the man you’re supporting for the US Senate. At least explain what kind of group it is. Why it’s exempt from filing taxes and what it does. Come on, this should be pretty easy for a candidate you’re supporting for the US Senate and for something he’s been involved with for over 10 years.

I’m sure there’s plenty of footage on youtube about Rand discussing it, or that the campaign has put on his website, or where Rand discussed it with supporters. It’s a National Board, surely someone out there can tell everyone what it does.

• 52 starryvisitor // May 3, 2010 at 2:49 pm

may 18th looms! oh joy! we have a leaking
    BP platform and a potus trying to be more
    presidential than the “W” as the derby semi
    ignors the Stately Victor who WAS the blue
    grass dark horse! is jack conway’s most “fav”
    stud a metaphor for what the primary and
    then the fall election will do for his master?
    Jake, why do you doubt St. Rand will question
    fat cat money once he gets to D.C and sits in
    Bunning’s seat? surely the voters are in an
    anti-D.C mood and A.G jack conway is a runner
    up to this. too many more fatcat dinners and
    he morphs into lt. dan and trey grayson…

• 53 Rand Paul Sucks // May 4, 2010 at 2:03 pm

My guess is that Rand Paul will be the next Jim Bunning if he wins, a guy who spends most of his time tilting at windmills, acting angry about what’s going on, and ignoring the needs of a state which he seems to know little about.

Reading this, it makes me wonder if Rand Paul’s not found an excellent way to avoid taxes himself. Has Randy released his tax returns to see how $46,000 matches up with his real income? Even if that is his AGI, I’d have to think that means he has a LOT of deductions.

Also troubling is his National Board of Optometry. It would be nice to hear him explain this. I understand that there are doctors who are not board certified in their specialties, but you have to wonder why Randy isn’t. Was he incapable? Lazy? Could this explain why Randy’s always concerned about the “Establishment”, because he couldn’t live up to someone else’s high standards?

• 54 Rand Paul Sucks // May 4, 2010 at 2:09 pm

And he’s paying a mortgage to In-laws? Does this enable him to write off that interest? If so, then THAT seems fishy.

• 55 Almost Real // May 4, 2010 at 2:44 pm

Most of the Republican base constituents in Kentucky don’t understand this stuff, much less care. They are uneducated, uninformed sheep.

• 56 CriticalThinker // Jun 14, 2010 at 4:11 pm

The Tea Party folks are confirming their general lack of intellectual curiosity. Dr. Paul is just a shill for corporate interests and his positions are vintage crackpot.

They reflect a Palinesque inability to think anything through to a logical conclusion. Kill the Dept of ED and you kill higher and post-graduate education. Killing the Fed would kill the world’s economy. All this one world order UN-stealing-sovereignty is not only fringe but mirrors the views of StormFront.

This IS the guy who embraces/embraced the ridiculous conspiracy theories about the NAFTA Superhighway-North American Union-Amero currency.

I, too, would like to withdraw all of our overseas troops but that’s not enough to get me to vote for a crazy person.