Why Is Cockfighting a Problem in Kentucky?

February 24th, 2010 · 35 Comments

See for yourself:

Click here.

Watch the video and read the story.

Meanwhile, House Speaker Greg Stumbo, a former attorney general, said he’s not sure cockfighting should be illegal. “A lot of people argue that it’s a tradition in our country — dates back to Thomas Jefferson and George Washington,” Stumbo said.

“I don’t necessarily believe that it’s the worst crime that’s ever been committed.”

That’s right. Uniformed police officers caught on video at a cockfight. And Greg Stumbo essentially endorsing the practice.

What Stumbo isn’t saying, however, is rumored to have once stopped a raid in Pike County while he was Attorney General because – get this – one of his relatives was involved in the cockfighting pit.

Welcome to the Commonwealth.

Tags: Corruption · Eastern Kentucky · Embarrassing · Hypocrisy · Law Enforcement · Spotted

• 1 Chris // Feb 24, 2010 at 10:43 am

THIS is why we can’t have nice things. These mouth breathers in Frankfurt continue to blow my mind daily.

• 2 lexdem // Feb 24, 2010 at 10:47 am

Slavery is a tradition dating back to Washington and Jefferson as well. Not the best argument, in my opinion, but I doubt that counts for much as I’ve never been Attorney General.

• 3 jake // Feb 24, 2010 at 10:48 am

“Chris” wins many, many whore diamonds for that comment!

• 4 Thinker // Feb 24, 2010 at 11:32 am

Are you aware that the organization which provided the tapes is currently being sued for racketeering, bribery, money laundering and paying people to provide false testimony to various state/local legislatures? Not to mention the part about deceptive fundraising practices. Have you considered the possibility that the tapes might have been edited???? Maybe they cut out the part where the trooper shut down the rooster fighting…

• 5 Um. // Feb 24, 2010 at 12:17 pm

YEAH THINKER!!!! WAY TO USE THAT NOGGIN!!! They shut it down after they watched a few matches right? They was just a-takin’ their time. You and Greg Stumbo should start a club… The Thinkin’ Man’s Club, cuz that’s what y’all do. Think of ways to make Kentucky sound like a shithole place to live.

Seriously, Greg Stumbo’s the smartest motherfucker in KY. You don’t eat dogs at KFC? Well shuckums Greg, lots o’ fellers won’t even eat the chicken at Kentucky Friend Chicken.

Hillbilly tool.

• 6 jake // Feb 24, 2010 at 12:19 pm

Are you aware that you sound absolutely ignorant?

Nothing you stated changes what’s in the video.

And edited? Yeah, I’m pretty sure the Kentucky State Police and the Office of the Governor would have made that clear if that were the case.

• 7 wondering // Feb 24, 2010 at 2:15 pm

Thinker, if the KSP had busted that cockfight they’d have done a big press release on it. Funny but I can’t remember seeing any news coverage of a cockfight in Manchester being busted. Wonder if Cletus Maricle was there buying votes?

• 8 jake // Feb 24, 2010 at 2:18 pm

Let’s be clear: This is NOT an attack on the Kentucky State Police or law enforcement.

The video is just evidence of the level of indifference paid to cockfighting.

• 9 marie // Feb 24, 2010 at 2:19 pm

Yes, lexdem, someone should tell Greg Stumbo that arguing the merits of anything because
    “it’s a tradition” is weak at best. And lazy.
    Meanwhile, Kentucky trails behind nearby states in
    more humane legislation.

• 10 Belknap Banquo // Feb 24, 2010 at 2:20 pm

Do you know how to increase the IQ at a cockfight by 50 per cent? Remove the people.

• 11 AttentionWhore // Feb 24, 2010 at 3:58 pm

Use protection when cock fighting!

• 12 Bob // Feb 24, 2010 at 7:58 pm

People in Haiti needs tents and this clown with the Humane Society is worried about chickens. Of all the social ills to devout ones time too I can’t understand why people are more worried about a stupid chicken!

• 13 jake // Feb 24, 2010 at 8:01 pm

Yeah, the is as simple as chickens.

Do you folks ever bother reading before commenting?

• 14 Um. // Feb 24, 2010 at 8:32 pm

Bob,

Perhaps because it is a reflection of the society we live in. Mainly, it reflects Kentuckians as barbaric in nature. Watch the video. See the fat-ass hillbillies wearing cut-offs and sporting rat tails getting their jollies off to birds tearing one another apart with razors strapped to their legs?

This is what people think of when they hear about KY. And why not? A former Atty. Gen. (and possible gubernatorial candidate) doesn’t see a problem with it. You people are fucking neanderthals! Jesus, could you just try evolving a little more so we don’t have to wait for you to play catch up with the rest of us?

Please leave my state immediately. Thanks.

P.S. And I’m sure you’ve devoted your entirety to helping people in Haiti get tents. Aside from, you know, commenting on blogs.

• 15 Bob // Feb 24, 2010 at 9:38 pm

I guess people from Kentucky are also not intelligent enough to express themselves without expletives and taking the Lord’s name in vain.

• 16 EducationforKY // Feb 25, 2010 at 12:08 am

Way to save the people in Haiti, Bob! That’s awesome all that you are doing for them! A reflection of a person’s character is the way they behave when confronted with a living being that is weaker that they are.

• 17 briansmith // Feb 25, 2010 at 1:25 am

You are Goddamn right.

• 18 Um. // Feb 25, 2010 at 1:16 pm

I guess Bobs from Kentucky are too goddamn, motherfucking, shit-pissing retarded to see past the use of expletives and Jesus.

• 19 jake // Feb 25, 2010 at 1:23 pm

There is nothing wrong with mixing “Jesus” with expletives.

• 20 briansmith // Feb 25, 2010 at 2:01 pm

“My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?”= “My God, WTF?”

• 21 Just me // Feb 25, 2010 at 2:06 pm

Thank you, briansmith. You just made my day!

• 22 Big Bee // Feb 25, 2010 at 5:01 pm

Racketeering Lawsuit Fingers Humane Society of the United States

Multi-Million Dollar Animal Rights Group Accused Of Corruption; Lawsuit Available At HumaneWatch

Washington – In a landmark RICO (Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act) lawsuit certain to have far-reaching implications for the animal rights movement, Feld Entertainment and the Ringling Brothers circus sued the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS), its lawyers, and several other animal rights groups last week. The nonprofit Center for Consumer Freedom (CCF) unearthed the lawsuit in federal court records today. CCF is making the lawsuit available online at its newest website, http://www.HumaneWatch.org
    “America’s farmers, ranchers, hunters, fishermen, research scientists, fashion designers, and restaurateurs have seen for decades how the animal rights movement can behave like a mobbed-up racket,” said CCF Director of Research David Martosko. “But it’s still shocking to see the evidence laid out on paper. In a treble-damage lawsuit like this, a jury could actually do the humane thing and finally put HSUS out of business completely.”
    In its February 16 lawsuit, Feld leveled bribery, fraud, obstruction of justice, and money laundering charges against HSUS and two of its corporate attorneys; three other animal rights groups; the Washington, DC law firm of Meyer Glitzenstein & Crystal; and all three of that firm’s named partners. On December 30, 2009, Federal Judge Emmitt Sullivan ruled that these defendants collaborated to pay more than $190,000 to Mr. Tom Rider, a former Feld employee who was an elephant “barn helper” for two years in the late 1990s, in exchange for his impeached testimony against Feld in an earlier lawsuit-testimony Judge Sullivan declared “not credible” and disregarded in its entirety. That lawsuit was dismissed.
    Feld is also suing Mr. Rider, and a nonprofit “Wildlife Advocacy Project” charity, claiming that Meyer Glitzenstein & Crystal used it to funnel money from their plaintiff clients to Mr. Rider. These clients included the Fund for Animals, which merged with HSUS in 2004.
    “The new HumaneWatch website is the only place the public will be able to read this lawsuit,” Martosko added. “We’re publishing a treasure trove of information about the Humane Society of the United States, including lots of surprising documents that HSUS would rather remain hidden from its contributors.”
    Last week CCF launched http://www.HumaneWatch.org,an online watchdog project dedicated to analyzing HSUS’s activities and keeping the group honest. It includes a blog, an interactive document library, and a growing body of information about HSUS-related organizations and staff.

• 23 jake // Feb 25, 2010 at 5:09 pm

I love how the mouth breathers are coming out of the wood work to act like the ridiculous behavior of the humane society has jack to do with animal cruelty. Like it makes animal cruelty a non-issue.

• 24 Belknap Banquo // Feb 25, 2010 at 5:23 pm

For over thirty years my uncle was a clown with the Ringling Brothers Circus, and when he died all of his hundreds of friends came to the funeral…..in one car.

• 25 Bob // Feb 25, 2010 at 7:11 pm

I love how you people must resort to name calling to get their point across.

• 26 ky hilltopper // Mar 7, 2010 at 10:44 am

Mind your own,if you dont like cockfighting dont go.The HSUS is behind all of this along with Joni Jenkins who is over louisville district.Have you all heard of the dog law they passed in louisville,or the newest one in W.Va.If the HSUS thinks these animals should have the rights as humans,why do they kill them everytime they get them,wouldnt this make them murders.John Goodwin which is over animal fighting is a felon,and said he wants to end all animal agriculture.Before you back crooks you need to check them out.It is communist to tell someone they cant let fighting chickens fight.It looks to me HSUS members are attending cockfights more than anybody these days.Here it is,right now we have over crowded jails,and they just built two in ky that I know of in the last 8 years,they are over crowded ,now the HSUS and Joni Jenkins wants to put taxpaying chicken fighters in and let child molestors out,that is their chioce like it or not,and they made their choice.I just want to thank stumbo and the rest who didnt want this bill.I want to thank them for thinking of our children.

• 27 jake // Mar 7, 2010 at 11:26 am

SO….. to sum it up, “hilltopper” says that the HSUS and Rep. Jenkins are in collusion and are crooks. That’s the ticket.

I’m not one to speak for Rep. Jenkins, but… are all of you people oxy-d out of your minds or what? Like I’ve said for weeks, Jenkins filed this legislation long before the HSUS came around. And your opinion(s) of HSUS don’t change the facts: cockfighting is cruel and violent, breeds other forms of violence and is a hot bed for drugs and illegal activity.

But keep on acting barefoot and toothless, Kentucky.

• 28 jj jackson // May 10, 2010 at 12:32 pm

THE #1 OBJECTIVE OF HSUS IS TO DO AWAY WITH CHRISTIANITY! GOD GAVE MAN DOMINION OVER ANIMALS,AND GOD MADE GAME CHICKENS, NOT MAN

• 29 jake // May 10, 2010 at 12:35 pm

We’ve received over 100 mouth-breather comments… but I decided to let yours through, jj.

Primarily because times must be tough for you as a Toyota salesman for Jim Moran these days.

STEP AWAY FROM THE KEYBOARD, MOUTH-BREATHERS.

• 30 Dan // May 30, 2010 at 10:38 pm

That’s an outright lie about John Goodwin. One cockfighting group called him a felon and ended up running 2 pages of retractions in their newsletters because it just wasn’t true.

But it doesn’t matter. None of that excuses cockfighting.

• 31 ky hilltopper // Jun 7, 2010 at 7:19 pm

The fact is JAKE,your not the judge of whats right and whats wrong.The fact is that cockfighting isnt even illegal in ky.The other fact is that you are making fun of a state you dont have to live in,you dont even have to live in this country.You should find you a good comminust one,you would fit right in.Cockfighting was going on a long time before you were even around.No one is forcing you to go.I hate bars,but Im not trying to band them,even though people get hurt,somtimes killed,and they are a breeding ground for drugs.Do you know why Im not out here trying band them,because this is a free country,if someone wants to go to a bar,then they can go their not bothering me or pushing me to go.As for you DAN,Im not making no excuses for cockfighting.I apologize to no one for my choice of hobbies.Its just plainly none of your or JAKES concern what I do on my farm,as long as Im not hurting anybody.Two game cocks doing battle in my back yard is no differant than two buck deer doing battle in mothernatures back yard.

• 32 Just me // Jun 7, 2010 at 8:09 pm

ky hilltopper

Golly! That miserably constructed tirade surely is convincing…although, probably not in your favor.

• 33 jake // Jun 7, 2010 at 9:39 pm

Dear residents of my beloved Eastern Kentucky: Speak some goddamn English once in a while and quit giving the region a bad reputation. Jesus fuck.

• 34 ann // Jun 10, 2011 at 5:58 pm

jake you are without a doubt the biggest pussy that ever worried your poor little faggot mind about a cultural sport that many appalachians have been passionate about for more years than you can count. Stop being such a pussy and get over your sissy ways. If you don’t want to see cockfinghting then don’t watch. I don’t like fags like you but I’m not going to get on line and preach to other people about it. So take some advice and mind your own faggot business.

• 35 wondering // Jun 12, 2011 at 12:43 am

Good Lord, Ann. You are an embarrassment to Kentucky. Jake and I are political opposites but I agree with him about cockfighting. It’s barbaric and has no redeeming social value. If chickens are gonna fight, why tie lethal objects on their legs? I live in eastern KY and am ashamed of the way some of you people act. The biggest irony I have seen in awhile was some redneck on the Mount Sterling Topix board talking smack about my hometown. If your county is home to the biggest cockfighting arena in the region, you have no business putting down anyone else’s community.