More on the Bunning Threat to Resign…

February 27th, 2009 · 14 Comments

The story went mainstream.

From our earlier story:

Rumor has it that Jim Bunning is so spitting mad that he’s telling people he’ll just resign and let Steve (Beshear) appoint someone.How bout them apples?

And can you even IMAGINE?

Ha!

UPDATE: Spoke with one of Bunning’s staffers and they don’t deny it. WTF. Granted, it only means he probably said it. But was it in frustration or was he serious?

Whattya know? We were spot-on. Here’s the latest from Joe Gerth and Jim Carroll, who have been burning the phones up ever since our story went live:

Already in conflict with his party’s leaders, Sen. Jim Bunning has reportedly said privately that if he is hindered in raising money for his re-election campaign he is ready with a response that would be politically devastating for Senate Republicans: his resignation.

The Kentucky Republican suggested that possible scenario at a campaign fundraiser for him on Capitol Hill earlier this week, according to three sources who asked not to be identified because of the politically sensitive nature of Bunning’s remarks.

The implication, they said, was that Bunning would allow Kentucky Gov. Steve Beshear, a Democrat, to appoint his replacement — a move that could give Democrats the 60 votes they need to block Republican filibusters in the Senate.

“I would get the last laugh. Don’t forget Kentucky has a Democrat governor,” one of the sources quoted Bunning as saying.

“The only logical extension of that comment is, ‘(anger) me … enough and I’ll resign, and then you’ve got 60 Democrats,’ ” said another source who was present at the event.

I’ll tell you who my sources are: Jim Bunning’s staff, folks at the NRSC and a well-known McConnell staffer. The same ones who have been peddling ALL negative Bunning stories lately.

Bunning is now denying the statement, but his own staffers tell us it’s true, that he actually said it, as we reported earlier.

The end is nigh.

UPDATE: No, Reid Wilson, Bunning’s comments were NOT first reported by the Courier-Journal.

And sorry, Jim. 25 witness don’t lie. Your staff members aren’t liars, either. We are making our sources known, to an extent.

Tags: Humor · Jim Bunning · Mainstream · Senate

• 1 James Moore // Feb 27, 2009 at 5:44 pm

What to go, Jake! You’re front-page news on MyDD!!

• 2 Sal Minnella // Feb 27, 2009 at 6:27 pm

Blago Bunning!

• 3 Novena // Feb 27, 2009 at 7:35 pm

“Grumpy Old Man”

Bunning has been groump as hell since pitching his perfect game against the Mets in 1964. It has been all downhill since then in the “grump department.” And it keeps getting worse every day. Resignation would be his best option (but who would know the difference between that and how he does his present job?)–and the worse thing to happen to Democrats.

• 4 Marc Carey // Feb 27, 2009 at 9:52 pm

Just for fun:

( I’m not really posting multiple times, it’s just that my first two didn’t show up, sorry)

• 5 Curt Morrison // Feb 27, 2009 at 10:08 pm

Hmm- if you were going to tell us who your sources were, wouldn’t you list their actual names? ;)

Since the Senator denied he’s resigning today, basicly this rumor just wasted peoples time and actually damaged the credibility of Page One.

• 6 Curt Morrison // Feb 27, 2009 at 10:09 pm

• 7 Bruce Maples // Feb 27, 2009 at 10:09 pm

So — the Republicans have their own Lieberman. What fun!

• 8 jake // Feb 27, 2009 at 11:32 pm

You’ll note that Joe Gerth and Jim Carroll also had the same three sources.

And, no, you don’t name names if they wish to remain anonymous.

• 9 Jason // Feb 28, 2009 at 10:20 am

I realize Bunning is a stupid old goat, but this is the most publicity he has had in his entire service at US Senator — you can’t tell me there are not enough crazy wealthy Republican supporters out there who wouldn’t love to get their teeth into this guy.

Before he was a senile nobody; but now he is a senile national embarassment. I think all this attention just helps him in the long run. Clearly, sanity and intelligence have never been a job requirement for US Senate.

• 10 wc // Feb 28, 2009 at 2:28 pm

This is too good. Way to go, Jake. But hey Jason, Bunning was a national embarrassment a long time ago. even the butt of Jon Stewart jokes just after he got re-elected.

I just love this for McConnell. Ouch!

• 11 jake // Feb 28, 2009 at 2:31 pm

Everyone should be thankful for Jim Bunning.

• 12 johnny // Feb 28, 2009 at 4:06 pm

I think it is a good move for Bunning. Don’t get me wrong, I hope the Rep Party collapses. The Reps are ostrasizing him, and instead of bowing down to their bully tactics, he may just give the seat up for a Democrat, handing Obama the 60 votes he needs. He ought to. He’s kept his Kentucky seat for as long as I can remember, and being that the GOP is in shambles, they can’t afford to burn their own bridges.

• 13 Rico // Feb 28, 2009 at 8:50 pm

I think you just made the story up so you could get a mention on Kentucky Tonight………….

Just kidding Jake! Kind of cool for a blogger to mentioned as one of the reliable sources.

• 14 Polar // Mar 1, 2009 at 4:41 pm

Gee! If Bunning actually does that, I would have to quit calling him Alzheimer Jim, and might even gain respect for him. The very thought!