Hot Off the U.S. Senate Rumor Mill

February 27th, 2009 · 14 Comments

NOTE: CLICK HERE for an update – mainstream media has verified everything we reported.

Here’s the original story:

Rumor has it that Jim Bunning is so spitting mad that he’s telling people he’ll just resign and let Steve (Beshear) appoint someone.

How bout them apples?

And can you even IMAGINE?

Ha!

UPDATE: Spoke with one of Bunning’s staffers and they don’t deny it. WTF. Granted, it only means he probably said it.  But was it in frustration or was he serious?

Tags: Humor · Jim Bunning · Senate

• 1 anon // Feb 27, 2009 at 1:29 pm

a double whammy.

the republican mitch loses and the democrat beshear has to make a decision.

• 2 jake // Feb 27, 2009 at 1:32 pm

If it came to be and I was Steve Beshear? I’d appoint myself so I could escape the nightmare he’s a part of in Frankfort. If he appoints Mongiardo, it gets messy. If he appoints Conway, there has to be a special. Same for Crit.

Still fun to think about.

• 3 DL // Feb 27, 2009 at 1:41 pm

But if he appoints himself that means Mongiardo is Governor. God help us all.

• 4 Curt Morrison // Feb 27, 2009 at 2:05 pm

Mixed emotions on this.
    I have a soft spot for Bunning for standing up to McConnell.
    From slumdog millionaire:
    “my ememy’s enemy is my friend”

• 5 Ray Re // Feb 27, 2009 at 2:16 pm

Once Bunning realizes (if he doesn’t already) that money won’t be coming, he’ll announce retirement and endorse Grayson. This assumes Grayson isn’t pressured to stay out and instead run for Governor. Bunning’s endorsement will mean a lot in Republican primary. David Williams can not win a General, Grayson can. David’s great buddy buddy deal with Greg Stumbo is not sitting well with Kentucky GOPers.

• 6 UK Alumni // Feb 27, 2009 at 2:29 pm

Too Funny.

• 7 Ray Re // Feb 27, 2009 at 2:36 pm

From UK Alum’s lips to David Williams’ ass.

• 8 Davi // Feb 27, 2009 at 2:57 pm

This would be a real coup all the way around; too good!

I’m sure Bershear could choose well and Bunning would go down in history for a lot more than his Ginsberg remarks.

• 9 Steve Bittenbender // Feb 27, 2009 at 3:08 pm

I’m not sure this will happen. It may just be Bunning being Bunning, like the time he said all of Louisville was under eleventy billion feet of flood water.

Still, if this were to happen, I’d hope Beshear would pick Bruce Lunsford.

• 10 TJ // Feb 27, 2009 at 3:33 pm

^ Ha. Yeah, Bruce Lunsford. Ha.

• 11 jake // Feb 27, 2009 at 3:38 pm

APPOINT OTIS!

• 12 Ray Re // Feb 27, 2009 at 4:00 pm

Well, Otis would be glad to be there.

• 13 Joe // Feb 27, 2009 at 4:06 pm

I can tell you that Jim Newberry hopes that Beshear would appoint Crit Luallen, because she’s gonna throw his ass in jail soon…

btw, Bunning resigning to spite McConnell would be, without question, the funniest thing EVAH

• 14 Steve Bittenbender // Feb 27, 2009 at 4:27 pm

Unless there’s some agreement between Conway and Luallen as far as 2010 goes, I can’t see the Governor picking either of them. Mongiardo’s an option, especially since he’s announced, but what would that do to the Governor’s re-election campaign finances?

Lunsford would be a good placeholder. I don’t believe he has any intentions of running again, so Democrats could decide who the nominee would be in 2010. And it would make at least 47 percent of the state happy.