Breaking: More Anti-McConnell Campaign Material

October 31st, 2008 · 39 Comments

Visiting this site for the first time? CLICK HERE to visit the main page for more information and more coverage of the U.S. Senate race.

Original Story:

Ugh. It just keeps getting worse. With the launch of the radio ad we just published, we can’t help but wonder who is responsible for the flyer below.

We hear 150,000 copies are being distributed at churches across the Commonwealth this Sunday.

CLICK TO ENLARGE

And, no, we do not condone this.

Thoughts?

Tags: Hypocrisy · Mitch McConnell

• 1 What a joke!! // Oct 31, 2008 at 3:57 pm

A real story: A gay person, try to join the army.

Recruiter: Sorry, we can’t recruit you because of
    your sexual orientation.

Gay Person: Why not, sir?
    My job may require to fire, it does
    not require to fu…

Homosexuals are also human beings. Most of the time, I found them more compassionate and sincere people. I am not gay, but I do not have a problem with others who enjoy a different life style. Let them enjoy their life, please…

• 2 Terri // Oct 31, 2008 at 4:05 pm

Disgusting. How can they distribute political materials at churches?

• 3 Henry Knox // Oct 31, 2008 at 4:44 pm

Jake, Tell your friends to get ready to pay significant fines and get their affairs in order for their trip to prison if they actually plan to distribute the flyer. As you’re doubtlessly aware, the flyer breaks several federal campaign finance laws. There’s no way 150K copies will be distributed without them being caught.

On another note, you’ve encouraged this type of activity throughout this cycle, so don’t try to distance yourself from it. This is the closest your readers will get to an admission from you that Lunsford’s race is lost before election day. These kind of tactics are about the level of Fletcher’s Pat Boone robocalls last year — and we all know how that turned out.

So, tell your buddies three things. 1) They are going to lose the election regardless of how many of these flyers get distributed. 2) They will get caught if they try. 3) They will be prosecuted once they’re caught.

• 4 jake // Oct 31, 2008 at 4:51 pm

First and foremost, these are not my buddies. I received an anonymous tip.

Democrats aren’t involved with this– I suspect Labor.

• 5 btucker // Oct 31, 2008 at 4:57 pm

Whoa…ease up on the labor accusation. An ad like this has been on the horizon for years. It’s obviously a set-up making it easier to blame the labor movement.

And they don’t need 150,000 of them. They only needed that one.

• 6 jake // Oct 31, 2008 at 4:58 pm

I didn’t accuse anyone. So careful with your words.

But it’s highly suspicious that the radio ad hit at the same time this flyer hit.

• 7 spence-bob // Oct 31, 2008 at 5:31 pm

I was skeptical of your suggestion that the radio ad was intentionally stoking homophobia … but sadly, this flyer proves me wrong. Disgusting.

• 8 btucker // Oct 31, 2008 at 5:34 pm

Sorry about the confusion…I should have said “ease up on your suspicions…”

It is my opinion that just a few weirdos are in on this, not an entire organization with as much to lose as AFSCME.

• 9 El Leon // Oct 31, 2008 at 5:53 pm

Henry Knox sounds pretty scared. Boy is the McConnell camp in danger.

• 10 El Leon // Oct 31, 2008 at 5:58 pm

Knox, what a cracker-jack. McCain has done everything but openly say Obama is a radical Muslim/terrorist.

The Rep’s crack me up.

• 11 Jinx // Oct 31, 2008 at 6:09 pm

Any Church worth its salt would chuck whoever distributed such a photo and the person passsing out- out the door.
    True Christians are not haters. While we may not condone a lifestyle, we are to love people irregardless. This picture is nothing but hate.

• 12 Andrew Horne // Oct 31, 2008 at 8:44 pm

It’s dishonorable.

• 13 Mark Mailerman // Oct 31, 2008 at 8:52 pm

What does Andrew Horne know about fiighting to win? Please.

• 14 jake // Oct 31, 2008 at 9:00 pm

Oh, I dunno, why don’t you ask him? Since he’s been to Iraq– maybe he knows a little something about it?

And what would someone in Maryland know about Kentucky?

Yeah.

• 15 Republican gadfly // Oct 31, 2008 at 9:45 pm

Well, nice to see that the “Mitch is Gay” crowd has finally come out (pun intended) and are openly making the claim they’ve made since 1984.

No proof then, no proof now. So take your libel and shove it.

(And for the record, I am abstaining from voting in the Senate race).

• 16 Steve Bittenbender // Oct 31, 2008 at 10:01 pm

A person’s sexual preference should not be a deciding factor in whether said person is fit for elected office.

It was wrong four years ago, and it’s wrong today.

• 17 jake // Oct 31, 2008 at 10:04 pm

Orientation.

• 18 John Bisceglia // Nov 1, 2008 at 1:15 am

I always thought it was common knowledge that Mitch was a closeted homosexual. And why is there a problem with this flyer? I’ve seen more “damaging” things than simply refering to someone’s sexual orientation (closeted or not).

• 19 kentondem1 // Nov 1, 2008 at 12:05 pm

I think it was a dirty trick by Stan Lee.

• 20 Sam Marcosson // Nov 1, 2008 at 2:03 pm

Why is there a problem with this flyer??? Because it attempts to exploit rampant homophobia in the last days of a campaign. Because it attempts to “out” McConnell. Because it uses an “issue” that is entirely irrelevant to the endless list of real, genuine, and completely valid reasons why Kentucky should turn McConnell out of office. There are some ways we as progressives, as Democrats, as gays, and as Kentuckians, should NOT be willing to win.

This is at the top of the list. It’s appalling.

• 21 Sporcupine // Nov 1, 2008 at 5:10 pm

Factual question: got any information on which churches?

I can’t see the ones that pushed hard for Bush and Fletcher pushing hard to oust McConnell.

I can’t see the mainline moderates agreeing to do this sort of open campaigning at all.

So which churches?

• 22 DanM // Nov 1, 2008 at 5:48 pm

Jesus

Pretty vile ad. I have no real objection to the outing of the hypocrisy of closeted homosexuals who publicly spread anti-gay hate, but even in that context this is vile.

• 23 The two most absurd things you’ll see today… | Mixed Media // Nov 1, 2008 at 5:48 pm

[...] leader) Mitch McConnell and Democratic challenger Bruce Lunsford. Hat tip to Andrew Sullivan and Page One Kentucky. How about that for negative campaigning? Puts this Paseur/Shaw race into perspective, [...]

• 24 OneLesbo // Nov 1, 2008 at 6:39 pm

Okay – not really my kind of ad but if anyone deserves it . . . it’s Mitch McConnell. He is a Larry Craig kind of Republican.

We miss you Kentucky —–

And everybody knows that the Village People were not gay in any way. This is just pointing to the manly side of Mitch McConnell.

Sorry . . . I would not make the ad . . . I would not distribute the ad . . . but it makes me laugh. Mitch McConnell and the Republicans in Kentucky have no problem in hurting gay folks and their families . . . let the the Republicans in Kentucky take it up the rear like the men they are . . .

Kisses!

• 25 OneLesbo // Nov 1, 2008 at 6:40 pm

We miss you Kentucky —–

Sorry . . . I would not make the ad . . . I would not distribute the ad . . . but it makes me laugh. Mitch McConnell and the Republicans in Kentucky have no problem in hurting gay folks and their families . . . let the the Republicans LEADERS in Kentucky take it up the rear like the men they are . . .

Kisses!

• 26 jake // Nov 1, 2008 at 7:34 pm

Sporcupine: Have you never paid attention to politics? Some douchebags plan on blanketing church parking lots across the state.

And I have no idea which churches– you’d have to ask labor or whomever is behind it.

• 27 I Guess You Just Can’t Have A Kentucky Senate Race Without Gay-Baiting « phaidimoi logoi // Nov 1, 2008 at 8:09 pm

[...] 1, 2008 I’m apparently the only one unsurprised by this. And this. (Well, I am surprised that AFCSME got in on the act—I would have predicted some random local [...]

• 28 Flowbee // Nov 2, 2008 at 3:39 am

Disgusting. How can they distribute political materials at churches?

Ah Terri, rethuglicans have been doing it for years…

• 29 Juanito Crandello // Nov 2, 2008 at 8:15 am

Horrors! At the point of their greatest popularity, The Village People had many straight fans, albeit many unknowing, had no inkling. One would think that many of the above responses reflect on McConnel’s face plastered on an S&M photo rather than a simple group photo of a popular variety act (of sorts). If it is indeed true that the senator was discharged as alleged and as a closeted politician has participated in the continuing anti-gay GOP jihad, I say all power to the persons behind the flyer! right on…

• 30 Sporcupine // Nov 2, 2008 at 5:25 pm

Jake,

Start with all Kentucky churches. Rule out all the ones with the sense to keep brazen partisanship far from their Sunday worship. Then, from the remaining, find the intersection of allowing gay-baiting and supporting McConnell-bashing. Who’s left?

• 31 jake // Nov 2, 2008 at 5:28 pm

You’ll note that no one said churches themselves would be passing the fliers out.

Campaign common sense should tell anyone paying attention that someone planned on blanketing parking lots and such.

But I haven’t heard any reports of them showing up today. And if Labor isn’t to blame for the leaflet (as it is for the stupid radio ad), then I’m apt to believe two gay bloggers in Washington, D.C. are responsible.

• 32 The Defiant One Endorses Mitch McConnell « The Constitution Club // Nov 2, 2008 at 11:17 pm

[...] a comment » This nonsense needs to stop.  Yes, I knew about the “open secret” about Sen. McConnell.  Yes, I know he votes [...]

• 33 PG // Nov 3, 2008 at 1:16 am

I hope that everyone who is troubled by this will contact the AFSCME. I sent them the following message:

To whom it may concern,

I am horrified at the advertisement the AFSCME is running against Mitch McConnell in Kentucky, and I urge you to remove them and to apologize for them. While there is disagreement among Democrats about the extent to which we should campaign for homosexuals’ equality, I hope there is no disagreement that our tactics should not sink to those of our opponents. Unfortunately, in referencing McConnell’s military record and asking that he be “straight” with voters, the AFSCME has found a low ground to share with Republicans, and it makes me ashamed to have made common cause with the AFSCME.

Please, please reconsider such advertisements, and please remember that the Democratic coalition cannot be strengthened by using sexual orientation as a fear factor in politics.

• 34 Gay-Bashing a Republican « sans everything // Nov 3, 2008 at 9:38 am

[...] November 3, 2008 by Jeet Heer We’ve made note of various Republican slanders and lies in the current election, so to be fair we should consider a case where the left has been equally bad. Mitch McConnell has been a Republican senator from Kentucky since 1984. A staunch conservative, McConnell has been dogged throughout his career with rumors that he’s a closeted gay or bisexual. In particular, there is a longstanding rumor (almost certainly false) the McConnell was discharged from the army in the 1960s as a result of his sexual orientation. As Mark Kleiman notes on his blog Same Facts an independent political group in Kentucky (not the Democratic party) is playing up these stories in order to defeat McConnell’s reelection bid. (For a particularly vile ad, see here). [...]

• 35 Thomas // Nov 3, 2008 at 10:54 am

TIME OUT!

1) Who is THEY publishing this flyer? There is no campaign or union taking credit, is there?

2) Where the heck did you get the 150,000 figure from? Did you just make it up? Or do you know the person that made 150,000 copies of this flyer?

This story is going to go viral, so I think you have a responsibility to answer some of these questions.

• 36 jake // Nov 3, 2008 at 11:07 am

Well, if you bother to read anything else on this site before throwing around accusations, you’d know we receive hundreds of tips per day.

It’s already gone viral. That happened last week.

These questions have already been addressed. But thanks for reading.

• 37 Thomas // Nov 3, 2008 at 12:31 pm

Jake:

Okay, apologies if the tone came out too strident. I’m seriously curious, though:

1) Is it AFSCME that your tipster said is printing 150,000 copies of this flyer. (I agree the radio ad was disgusting). If your tipster says not, I think you should be clear.

2) If this was a week ago, did the flyers actually go out? Are there any other sources (other than TNR) that picked this up?

Thanks,

- Thomas

• 38 jake // Nov 3, 2008 at 12:34 pm

No worries here!

My tipster would neither confirm nor deny that it was AFSCME behind the flyer. I’m only sharing my suspicion. And that suspicion is only up because AFSCME did the same thing on radio on the same day the flyer came to be.

I’ve got a story later today that rounds up all of the national attention with links. Stay tuned.

• 39 Gay Bashing is Wrong, Period - The WebZappr // Nov 4, 2008 at 1:02 pm

[...] for the voters of Kentucky to understand. In case that advertisement is too subtle, take a look at this flyer, which allegedly has been circulated to 150,000 people in the [...]